Summer Research programs or faculty lead research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i was wondering if my summer is better spent taking two general education req. courses at my university (writing and literature :scared: ) while conducting research with a faculty member here and volunteering at clinics. OR if i should apply to 8-10 week research programs at universities over the summer. I get paid either way.

What do you guys think

Members don't see this ad.

vicinihil said:
Hey i was wondering if my summer is better spent taking two general education req. courses at my university (writing and literature :scared: ) while conducting research with a faculty member here and volunteering at clinics. OR if i should apply to 8-10 week research programs at universities over the summer. I get paid either way.

What do you guys think

hmm, the deadline for alot of the summer programs has almost passed, but generally either choice is good. the advantage of doing faculty research at your own university is that you can continue it over the year. but at the same time, getting a summer job at an interesting/high-profile lab can be equally rewarding. i'd say apply to a bunch of research labs at different universities, but make sure that if none come through, you have a professor at your own university willing to have you as an intern. good luck with whatever you decide

Is research absolutely necessary? I'd much rather spend my time interacting with patients in a clinical setting. Would adcoms look unfavorably upon my application if I had no research under my belt?

Aero047 said:
Is research absolutely necessary? I'd much rather spend my time interacting with patients in a clinical setting. Would adcoms look unfavorably upon my application if I had no research under my belt?

its by no means necessary, and if you arent interested, it probably wont be worth it. it can be a plus if you accomplished alot in research, but they definately dont expect everyone to have research under their belt. im sure they want a class of diverse interests.