summer research programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to know a lot of lab techniques for summer research programs such as Stanford Amgen Scholars and Baylor College of Medicine SMART program?
I only know basic ones like PCR and DNA sequencing but I will be publishing a paper soon.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it necessary to know a lot of lab techniques for summer research programs such as Stanford Amgen Scholars and Baylor College of Medicine SMART program?
I only know basic ones like PCR and DNA sequencing but I will be publishing a paper soon.

Thank you!
idk about the amgen program, but I know a few ppl who were accepted to summer research programs that had no research experience at all.

Thank you!
You dont even need to know that. They dont care if you know techniques already, although it does help during the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
It takes 1 day to learn like 3 new techniques. After a week you'll be up and running with the best of them.

<--Researched for 2 years, and the MD/PhD supervisor told me he preferred it if I didn't come with any preconceptions of how to do things, because they are likely... incorrect or inappropriate.

DO NOT BORROW PIPETTES WITHOUT PERMISSION.