Summer School Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'mJustCurious

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys I am currently in a university after transferring from CC. At CC I didn't take school so seriously so my GPA is under 3.0. I only took 2 science courses at CC and got 2 C's in them. They are both into Bio classes and I can't retake them in the summer because they will definitely interfere with my work schedule and I need to work to pay off college. So I was wondering if I should take more classes to raise them up or retake other classes that I got a C in which were pre-req classes.

Plan A: Retake other courses that I got C's in (Pre-reqs)
Plan B: Take 2 classes this summer and 2 classes next summer

Thank you to everyone who replies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd go after the other classes first and prove yourself with upper division science courses. If you still have that nagging issue seeing a C in bio 1, then retake it after you finish your upper science courses. That's pretty much what I did.
 
I'd go after the other classes first and prove yourself with upper division science courses. If you still have that nagging issue seeing a C in bio 1, then retake it after you finish your upper science courses. That's pretty much what I did.
Ok, will taking a lot of upper science courses lessen the C's I got in some of my lower level science courses? I would imagine so but am just asking to get some reassurance.
 
In my opinion, it shows more to do better in harder courses than retaking intro classes. I had a C in Bio 1 and Bio2 because I just wasn't focused enough. All of my bio classes after those two were A's. It still bothered me having those C's on my record so I retook them and got A's easily since I had taken all of those upper bio classes. The school I ended up at doesn't do grade replacement so they saw those C's and it never got mentioned.

So that's why I think you should just move on with your classes. Then when everything is pretty much finished, if it's still bothering you...retake them. The thing is though you need to change your ways and start doing better. Show a great upward trend to have them change their opinion about you.
 
In my opinion, it shows more to do better in harder courses than retaking intro classes. I had a C in Bio 1 and Bio2 because I just wasn't focused enough. All of my bio classes after those two were A's. It still bothered me having those C's on my record so I retook them and got A's easily since I had taken all of those upper bio classes. The school I ended up at doesn't do grade replacement so they saw those C's and it never got mentioned.

So that's why I think you should just move on with your classes. Then when everything is pretty much finished, if it's still bothering you...retake them. The thing is though you need to change your ways and start doing better. Show a great upward trend to have them change their opinion about you.
What were you doing differently that got you all A's? If you don't mind me asking.
 
What were you doing differently that got you all A's? If you don't mind me asking.

To be honest, I just got more serious about things. An advisor told me I could never be a physician with my GPA so I decided to change that. Find your method of studying that works for you and go from there.