Summer School Retakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

URMpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking some classes this Summer to pull up my GPA. So i guess I am doing my own DIY post bac program. I am retaking Physics I & II They are 5 week classes along with Orgo I which is a 6 week class and a 15 week General Bios 1 class. Do you think taking these classes in the summer are doable or I am overloading myself? I currently do not work so I will be going to school full time. All the classes I listed I received C's in so just trying to get A's and B's applying to D.O school this year. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I am retaking some classes this Summer to pull up my GPA. So i guess I am doing my own DIY post bac program. I am retaking Physics I & II They are 5 week classes along with Orgo I which is a 6 week class and a 15 week General Bios 1 class. Do you think taking these classes in the summer are doable or I am overloading myself? I currently do not work so I will be going to school full time. All the classes I listed I received C's in so just trying to get A's and B's applying to D.O school this year. :confused:

Personally I would not do that, and I'm talking from experience. I took chem II as a 5 week course, and it was way too much. I'm full time as well, and I put plenty of work into it. I came away with a C. Wish I had taken it during a regular semester like I did chem I. Also it felt so crammed in, and we went through it so quick that most of what I did learn faded pretty quickly. It doesn't mean it will be the same for you, however, you should really think about how you did previously in the class and whether or not you can perform at a higher level then a C in a much shorter amount of time. I'd say take the 15 week Bio class as that's about a standard semester. You shouldn't rush things, slow down and get it right. Hope that helps.

Thanks I appreciate that. I guess I just want to get my app in and my grads up for this application cycle Gen Chem were acclerated and I got an A in gen chem I and a B in gen chem II. I only get C's in classes when I do not put in any effort or study. So that is basically how i received C's in the classes I am retaking I never studied and barely went to class. I took Biochem last summer and I got an A in it because I put in the work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see you list your location as Chicago, I'm from Chicago as well. You can do Phys 1 an 2 since 2 is usually offered second summer session. As far as Orgo be sure to check if summer Orgo will be accepted, I know Oakton CC summer does not transfer to many schools and you would need to take in the fall for the full semester to cover all the labs, we had a ton of stuff to cover. I can't comment on gen bio.

I am actually taking it at Oakton. Really why dont their summer classes transfer ? I was using them as grade replacement for D.O school. What would the course say on the transcript ?

I think that is wayyyy too much. When I first started on this path 2 years ago, I took Gen Chem II and Physics I and had to end up withdrawing from Physics I because I just couldn't keep up with it.

Orgo takes A LOT of time, so unless you're particularly good at it, I wouldn't suggest taking it along with 2 other classes. If anything, I suggest taking 1 15-week course. You will learn the material better since it won't be so crammed in.

Just my 2 cents though.

I appreciate that i am not going to take orgo until the fall. I do think you need to show schools that you can take multiple science courses at once instead of one at a time because you will not have the luxury to do so in medical school. Plus i need to learn how to manage how to study again with multiple classes especially hard sciences.

Hey I answered ur pm. Only summer Ochem tends to be an issue with transfer because they don't cover everything and other students had issues come up per my Ochem prof. Take that in the fall with Dr. V, she used to teach at northwestern and is awesome. All other summer classes should be ag.

Well, IMO this is a lot for a regular semester. Now for a summer... oh boy! I wouldn't do it but that is just my comfort level. If you feel like you can handle it or have handled something close to this amount of work, then go for it.

The Physics I 5 week course would be taken alone interim portion of summer school I wouldn't start Biology until the beginning of summer school meaning I will just be focused on Biology. I decided to forgo Orgo Chemistry until the fall semester.