Summer School/Summer Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjangmes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I just applied to a dental internship near my college, because I was planning on taking summer school. My original plan was to take Biology1A during first summer session, and then Physics 7A during second summer session. But then I have time conflict with my dental internship. So my new plan is to take O.Chem 118A during first summer sesion, and O.Chem 118B during second summer session. Does this sound like a suicide plan? To take O.Chem during summer? Do you guys think it will be too hard to take O.Chem during summer. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

be prepared to study, people on here have done it. My friend is actually doing it right now. As long as you treat it how it should be treated you will do just fine.

Hi!

I just applied to a dental internship near my college, because I was planning on taking summer school. My original plan was to take Biology1A during first summer session, and then Physics 7A during second summer session. But then I have time conflict with my dental internship. So my new plan is to take O.Chem 118A during first summer sesion, and O.Chem 118B during second summer session. Does this sound like a suicide plan? To take O.Chem during summer? Do you guys think it will be too hard to take O.Chem during summer. Thanks guys.

UH OH. sounds like Davis to me :D........ Yeah you can do it just study a lot. O Chem is a lot of memorizing reactions and mechanisms. Do you know who the professor is?

Members don't see this ad :)
UH OH. sounds like Davis to me :D........ Yeah you can do it just study a lot. O Chem is a lot of memorizing reactions and mechanisms. Do you know who the professor is?

yeahhh. haha. it's davis. man. any suggestion about professors.. like who i should take and who i shouldn't..
professor for Chem 118A is Timothy E. Pattern
the rest.. no idea.... ahhhh. some advice would be helpful :) thanks!

Hi!

@Fonz...You took the words right outta my mouth. Go aggies :D

It can be done because I've actually taken 118 over the summer. Are those the only classes you'll be taking each session? With the labs it can seem a bit drawn out but like Fonz said it is a lot of memorization of the reactions. Just pace yourself and make sure you set aside enough time for yourself to study and you should do fine. Luckily Davis is the pits over the summer (or at least it was for me) so I'm assuming that you will have ample time to study. I've never heard of Pattern so I don't know too much about him, but if you can take Nambiar.

Hey fellow aggie! I actually like O chem better in summer than regular school year. I have had Patten for 118C and I think he is actually one of the easiest o chem professor - easy test, generous curve etc. Sometimes, however, he would ask minute detail that he only mentioned once in the class like: pka of the acetic acid? O chem professors like Schore and Nambiar are both OK and and also curve as well. If you want a challenge and are truly enthusiatic about ochem then take Nasiri - you will learn a great deal, but get ready to work your butt off. I had her for 118A and B and she didnt really care about the class mean had a preset curve where 75% is A, 65% is B, and 55% (or 50?) is a C. However, my class mean for midterms were actually around the mid 40s so the class averaged a D...

I had Patten for B and C and i think he is really good. he always explained things well and he is a nice guy. Tests are challenging but then again how easy are you expecting for O chem 118 series to be anyways.

thanks guys for all the helpful replies. I"m definitely looking forward for summer to be here.. I signed up for dental intern through icc.ucd and... i'll be interning for Dr. Thoms Chin, DMD. Hopefully, he'll be a nice guy.

thanks guys for all the helpful replies. I"m definitely looking forward for summer to be here.. I signed up for dental intern through icc.ucd and... i'll be interning for Dr. Thoms Chin, DMD. Hopefully, he'll be a nice guy.

HAHAHAAAA! I did that summer internship two years ago!!!! He's like the most establish ortho in Davis. Honestly he's pretty nice but he is getting quite old so he is not very talkative and will tend to just kinda of ignore the interns. You just really need to make the effort to try and talk to him. He won't initiate convo at all. I think its just that he is older and he prolly had sooooo many interns over the years that he just doesn't care too much anymore. For this reason he might not be a good person to ask for a LOR, but he will gladly do it if you were pretty good and tried to talk to him. You might notice that he has a short temper but that was mainly with his assistant who at the time i was there just started working and she had no prior dentistry experience. Myra is probably still there, she was the head assistant. Oh he loves golf so maybe you can impress him with some golf knowledge.

Good luck with that :thumbup: I don't know if you have done it already or how much time you have left in Davis, but I would suggest doing a Communicare internship as well. I saw some of the coolest stuff there and the dentists were really nice.