summer science grades ---> when to reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdr55

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Recall that the AMCAS form allows you to list in-progress and future classes. I see no reason to delay your application for the small increase in GPA (I assume you mean a +0.1 increase) those classes will provide, when applying early gives such an advantage. You can communicate your great grades in the summer classes via "Update Letter" to those schools that show an interest in you, just as you would your fall semester grades.

I'm in a similar situation... I applied this past cycle with 3.21 BCPM, 3.54 overall, 31 MCAT. I graduated last December, but I'm planning to go back to school over the summer and take 4 upper division bio classes. Assuming I get A's in them, my stats would go up to 3.34 sci, 3.61 overall.

Is this enough to make a difference to the adcoms? If i send an update letter with this info, will they actually recalculate my gpa? I had planned on working in the fall, hopefully at a hospital/ medical office, but would you recommend I take more classes instead?

I'm in a similar situation... I applied this past cycle with 3.21 BCPM, 3.54 overall, 31 MCAT. I graduated last December, but I'm planning to go back to school over the summer and take 4 upper division bio classes. Assuming I get A's in them, my stats would go up to 3.34 sci, 3.61 overall.

Is this enough to make a difference to the adcoms? If i send an update letter with this info, will they actually recalculate my gpa? I had planned on working in the fall, hopefully at a hospital/ medical office, but would you recommend I take more classes instead?

I'm sure you might get extremely variable feedback on your questions. Here is my opinion:

To get into an allopathic med school, I consider your science GPA low, but your overall GPA acceptable. You need to demonstrate a consistent ability to do well in upper level science courses, and so far you have not, unless there is an upward trend semester by semester that is not apparent in the info you have given. There is no point applying and spending thousands of dollars to apply widely, as you would need to, until your application is the best it can be. I think you may be taking a huge risk by taking 4 upper level science courses over the summer (12 credit hours at least?), because what if you don't get all As? (You haven't so far.) Then you wasted the tuition money. Better to take them at a slower pace to guarantee excellent grades.

No, adcomms will not recalculate your GPA, but if you send an official transcript they will make the positive assumptions that you want them to. Best though to follow my advice above, so a grade update isn't needed, by waiting another year before you apply.

I'd be in favor of your continuing to do unofficial post-bacc work in the fall to continue the upward GPA trend and show a sustained ability to do well in high level science classes.

If you have an interest in osteopathic schools, your application is satisfactory as it is.