Tobysgirl81

VMRCVM c/o 2014!
Jan 24, 2010
Status
I know this is sort of like the other thread, but since that seems to be more academic focused, I figured we could share travel/vacation plans here.

After hearing over and over again "GO SOMEWHERE FUN", I decided to put myself on a 4 day Carribean cruise. Complete with driving to the port (approximately 14 hours, though I'll be breaking it up into two days), spending an extra day in the Miami area afterward and then stopping off at a few campsites on the way home. I should be a crispy, smelly mess by the time I get home... It'll be great!

What about everyone else? What are your fun getaways planned for the summer before starting school?

lalzi22

The OSU CVM c/o 2014!!
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I am going to London for five days with my boyfriend, the hamptons for a week with my friends and boyfriend, florida with my best friend and maybe some camping trips in upstate new york. wheee! its going to be a FABULOUS summer.

twelvetigers

stabby cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2008
TTown
Status
Veterinarian
I'm doing a (7 day) cruise as well, but I'm still prevet it seems. Plus the VIDA trip, plus two weeks in Oregon/Montana... gotta keep busy.

scb44f

Llamas and cattle and sheep, oh my!
7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2009
MO
Status
Veterinarian
I'll be heading to the beach for a week, then to the lake a week after that for the 4th of July for about a week. Then I'll be spending a few weeks with a friend in KS to expand my animal experience, and then the VIDA trip. It's a full summer indeed.

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
A week in Denver, a week in Montana, 4 weeks in my parents house (oh crap!), 1 week-ish in Montauk/the hamptons. Got a couple long weekends in Boston between now and the summer, and am planning a weekend in "North country" at some point to go moose watching :)

Lots of time on the beach while at my parents. That will be the only thing that keeps me sane! :laugh:

lalzi22

The OSU CVM c/o 2014!!
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
The NY hamptons???
We'll practically be neighbors! I think I'll be out there at some point in the beginning of July, possibly the second week.
Yeah! I was actually going to go the second week of July as well! Bridgehampton to be specific. Maybe I'll see you in Sag Harbor shopping!

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Yeah! I was actually going to go the second week of July as well! Bridgehampton to be specific. Maybe I'll see you in Sag Harbor shopping!

I'll be spending most of my time out in Montauk, possibly spending a couple days in Amagansett, and yes, checking out the shopping and the Hampton beach crowds as well :) Got a friend of my mothers with a place in Westhampton. It's only a 40 minute drive from my parents house, which makes it fun. (of course, with summer traffic, sometimes it takes more like 3 hours...). Will probably spend a few days on the other fork too, in Mattituck/Orient.

I plan on checking out the Boardy Barn as well. I've never been there and its like a Hampton tradition!

(I am such a beach bum...)

lalzi22

The OSU CVM c/o 2014!!
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I'll be spending most of my time out in Montauk, possibly spending a couple days in Amagansett, and yes, checking out the shopping and the Hampton beach crowds as well :) Got a friend of my mothers with a place in Westhampton. It's only a 40 minute drive from my parents house, which makes it fun. (of course, with summer traffic, sometimes it takes more like 3 hours...). Will probably spend a few days on the other fork too, in Mattituck/Orient.

I plan on checking out the Boardy Barn as well. I've never been there and its like a Hampton tradition!

(I am such a beach bum...)
haha well as a non-Long Islander (Westchester here), I am excited to spend more than a day at the beach!!! I'm practicing tomorrow in my backyard with the BEAUTIFUL weather that is coming.

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
haha well as a non-Long Islander (Westchester here), I am excited to spend more than a day at the beach!!! I'm practicing tomorrow in my backyard with the BEAUTIFUL weather that is coming.
Heh. I'll be checking out the "other" Hamptons tomorrow, and hitting up the New Hampshire beaches.

(PS: I know, I know, :hijacked: )

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
Might be taking this or a similar trip on bike (the vroom vroom type). The original plan was to make the Kentucky Derby, and decide somewhere around Missouri whether I was ready to go home (if not, just take a right instead of a left), but it seems that classes are going to interfere with that. Some where in there I have to get rabies vaccinations too, so...we shall see.

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
Why no love for Oklahoma?
Well the goal is to stop in through national parks where I can camp for free, so either Oklahoma doesn't have any or some other reason that I've forgotten.

I planned this all out last spring (was meant to take the trip last summer if I got into vet school last cycle), so I don't recall, really. I think I left Oklahoma in the 'if I have time' bracket.

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
Ding ding would be fun too, but I want to live to see the fall.

Well, you can camp on a couch I'm sure. Just sayin'.
Can I build a camp fire too? Love me some smores.

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hopefully the VIDA trip works out for me.

I've already begged my boyfriend to take me to all of the popular spots in my area. This is probably my last summer here and I haven't been on the Cabot Trail, swimming in Ingonish, or hiked in Cape Breton Highlands National Park. I'd also like to visit the Fortress of Louisbourg, Alexander Graham Bell museum, Miners muesum and go whale watching, which is all stuff that I haven't done since I was a kid. I know I'll appreciate it more now. If time permits, there are things on the mainland that I haven't seen.

This summer I'm going to pretend I'm a tourist and do some nerdy things :p

GreennWhite

C/O 2014!!!
Jan 19, 2010
MD and VA
Status
Veterinary Student
Not going to be traveling all that much - pretty broke with some sudden vet bills. Might go up to Philly to visit a good friend and then maybe NYC - which I've never been to. Also, hoping to go to Ocean City.
Mainly I will be relaxing, helping mom organize and declutter the house and put some paint on the walls. Also, I'm leasing a gorgeous Quarter Horse for the summer and will be able to ride around some beautiful trails in MD a few times a week!

JuniorJumper

UF CVM Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2009
Gainesville, FL
Status
Pre-Veterinary
My boyfriend and I are going to Italy for a week. We're visiting Rome, Florence and hiking through Cinque Terre. When we come back we're going to my house in S. Florida to visit the beach, it's been so long since Ive been in the sun :(

lalzi22

The OSU CVM c/o 2014!!
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Not going to be traveling all that much - pretty broke with some sudden vet bills. Might go up to Philly to visit a good friend and then maybe NYC - which I've never been to. Also, hoping to go to Ocean City.
Mainly I will be relaxing, helping mom organize and declutter the house and put some paint on the walls. Also, I'm leasing a gorgeous Quarter Horse for the summer and will be able to ride around some beautiful trails in MD a few times a week!
Go to NYC. I practically liver there (30 min out) and it is a FANTASTIC place. One on a lifetime experience for people who dont live here. Amazing, fun, vibrant, young chic city!

GreennWhite

C/O 2014!!!
Jan 19, 2010
MD and VA
Status
Veterinary Student
Go to NYC. I practically liver there (30 min out) and it is a FANTASTIC place. One on a lifetime experience for people who dont live here. Amazing, fun, vibrant, young chic city!
Yeah, it's pretty pathetic that I've never gone there when I've lived like 4-5 hours away for the last 16 years. I've been to London and Paris but not NYC! :laugh:

BlacKAT33

UPenn c/o 2014!! :)
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Would be more impressed if it was the ding ding type.

I might do a road trip if I get my thesis finished before August. We'll see....
:laugh: omg i totally just skimmed this whole thing because i was behind and i thought it was the ding ding bike!! i was like woww a couple months bike ride? awesome! lol yea, you're right, its not as impressive now!!
HopefulAg-why not just go cross country???

I myself will hopefully be going to these places:
CA: visit my 2 best friends in grad school
vegas: my sigfig wants to go with work friends so i figured why the hell not? lol
st. louis, MO: i grew up here and havent been back in 10 yrs! will see my superrrr old best friend and go to all my fav. places :D!

Then when I move to philly-its pretty much like a vacation because ive never been there before except for my interview and looking for housing. Maybe i'll go to NYC since it is super close now!!

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
HopefulAg-why not just go cross country???
I plan to spend a day or three in each park, and more in some of the larger ones. You don't get to see as much if you try to put too much in. Also there's some specific roads that I'd like to ride, like The Dragon and its Tail in Tennessee, and that'd take a day or two on its own. Might head on over to Mt. Lemmon too.

But I don't know how long that trip will take. Traveling around Texas has kind of warped my sense of how long this will take (can take an entire day just to go through Texas). It's not really highway traveling (the goal was specifically to avoid highways when possible, and get on twisty roads) so not quite a straight shot. But it's not a path I'd follow religiously. If I get near the end and decide I don't want to go back yet, I'd just chart a new course.

luplodw

Mississippi c/o 2014!!
Jun 13, 2009
Nashville, TN
www.facebook.com
Status
Veterinary Student
I plan to go to Seattle for awhile to see my boyfriend (long distance thing). I'll probably go to Florida to a beach like I usually do.... I guess it all depends on if I get called off the waitlist what I do. If I'm accepted i'll do some fun stuff....if not then i'll be working

lalzi22

The OSU CVM c/o 2014!!
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Yeah, it's pretty pathetic that I've never gone there when I've lived like 4-5 hours away for the last 16 years. I've been to London and Paris but not NYC! :laugh:
Don't go to the touristy places like the empire state building, the stature of liberty or the brooklyn bridge. YAWN! Do some cooler places like MoMA, The Met, The Natural History Museum, Central Park (near the bottom or the east side), SoHo, Serendipity (make a reservation 3 months in advance and get a burger and frozzzen hot chocolate...drool) and THE BRONX ZOO. Take the subway to the bronx zoo. Seriously- AMAZING

Whyevernot55

OKSU 2016!
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2009
MA
Status
Pre-Veterinary
The extent of my vacation time will likely be heading to VA with some friends for camping, touring wineries, and a steeplechase in May just after finals are over. If I'm VERY lucky I might actually get to go home and see my family, but I use most of my time off for horse shows, which is my major time-suck in the summertime.
If I don't end up going to Edinburgh I'd love to try and squeeze in a real vacation, but since I don't know what country I'll be in come August, it's hard to plan! :D

DVMDream

Don't disturb the snowflakes
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I plan to spend a day or three in each park, and more in some of the larger ones. You don't get to see as much if you try to put too much in. Also there's some specific roads that I'd like to ride, like The Dragon and its Tail in Tennessee, and that'd take a day or two on its own. Might head on over to Mt. Lemmon too.

But I don't know how long that trip will take. Traveling around Texas has kind of warped my sense of how long this will take (can take an entire day just to go through Texas). It's not really highway traveling (the goal was specifically to avoid highways when possible, and get on twisty roads) so not quite a straight shot. But it's not a path I'd follow religiously. If I get near the end and decide I don't want to go back yet, I'd just chart a new course.
If you are going to come to AZ head up to northern AZ. Tons of places for riding the bike as well as hiking not to mention the scenery and temperatures are much better that is if you do not mind drastic changes in altitude.

rockefellerVT

OkSU class of 2014!
Jan 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I will be moving my horse up to northern VA for most of the summer, finding a part time job and just enjoying riding, showing, and being with my boyfriend and friends. I think we have a beach trip planned in July and I will probably be moving myself and my horse in early august... Cant wait!

nitheninny

Ohio State CVM c/o 2014
Jan 19, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
I'll be traveling to Israel with my brother at the end of June. We've been trying to go for over a year now, so I'm pretty excited!

Dec 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Im going to the beach in 2 weeks with 12 of my friends before graduation. Then im going to Scotland to see my new home. Then moving back home to northwest Virginia. Then going to the outerbanks and probably a couple trips to Boston.

DickVetPlease

Mizzou 2014
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2009
MO
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Scotland for the summer to help out at a campsite/hostel :-D

marycatherine

working on the pre-reqs
Nov 14, 2009
Virginia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I'm taking classes this summer (Bio 102 and Chem 101, I'm just starting!) but in october I'm hopefully going to San Francisco and maybe L.A.? My boyfriend really wants to move himself out to L.A. and the Nike Womens Half Marathon is in San Fran-- though I don't hear if I can run for a few more weeks. I'm planning on visiting Western while I'm out there!

variegata

7+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2009
Status
Veterinarian
Well, I'm enjoying a last few months before moving back in with the parents for 6 weeks this summer when my lease ends. :( But, I'm getting pretty jazzed about the road trip my friend and I are gonna do on my way out to Wisconsin. Haven't decided a route or definite destinations yet, but route 66 is a possibility. Hopefully I'll also get out and go somewhere during the 6 weeks I'm home...so I don't kill myself. ;)

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Well, I'm enjoying a last few months before moving back in with the parents for 6 weeks this summer when my lease ends. :( But, I'm getting pretty jazzed about the road trip my friend and I are gonna do on my way out to Wisconsin. Haven't decided a route or definite destinations yet, but route 66 is a possibility. Hopefully I'll also get out and go somewhere during the 6 weeks I'm home...so I don't kill myself. ;)

=sings=

When you make that california trip
Get your kicks on route 66
Now if you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way

Take the highway, that's the best
Gets your kicks on route 66!

SocialStigma

OVC c/o 2015
7+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2009
Midwest, US
Status
Resident [Any Field], Veterinarian
I'm writing the MCAT on July 16th so no travel plans until after that date, but after that I'm going to Yellowstone National Park for a couple days with my family :). Was supposed to go to New Zealand this summer :( but it's been postponed to next summer because I need to stay home to rack up vet/animal experience and write the MCAT.

DVMDream

Don't disturb the snowflakes
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
=sings=

When you make that california trip
Get your kicks on route 66
Now if you ever plan to motor west
Travel my way

Take the highway, that's the best
Gets your kicks on route 66!

Love it...I was just driving on route 66 yesterday!! Although I kind of have to in order to get through town. :D

scb44f

Llamas and cattle and sheep, oh my!
7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2009
MO
Status
Veterinarian
Love it...I was just driving on route 66 yesterday!! Although I kind of have to in order to get through town. :D
Ditto. It goes through the town I'm in as well.