-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Suny Downstate 2008
Started by Akscal
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
most likely unless other options open up. yea.. what kind of summer program?
anybody looking to live off campus?
anybody looking to live off campus?
The summer program he's referring to is the one where you take anatomy over the summer with a smaller class size, and then have a freed-up first year schedule to do other things (research, anatomy TA, etc.)
I was talking about operation success for matriculating students where you take classes like anatomy, get introduced to profs, and learn time management. It should be a good program to get to know people and alot more about medical school life before it begins.
Hi all,
I will be with you in class this year. I was going to start a SUNY Downstate thread and discovered this. I was borned and raised in Brooklyn, and went to school at Stuyvesant High. Undergrad completed at Cornell University. I'm really looking foward to school next year, since I've been working for 2 yrs since graduating. I had no idea Downstate offered a summer anatomy option. How did you guys hear about this? Does anyone have any plans on moving in the nearby neighborhoods. I might live in Park Slope instead of dorming. I heard it's easy to not dorm first year, harder 2nd year. Keep the post active, and hope to see you this fall.
Best,
Charles Wang
I will be with you in class this year. I was going to start a SUNY Downstate thread and discovered this. I was borned and raised in Brooklyn, and went to school at Stuyvesant High. Undergrad completed at Cornell University. I'm really looking foward to school next year, since I've been working for 2 yrs since graduating. I had no idea Downstate offered a summer anatomy option. How did you guys hear about this? Does anyone have any plans on moving in the nearby neighborhoods. I might live in Park Slope instead of dorming. I heard it's easy to not dorm first year, harder 2nd year. Keep the post active, and hope to see you this fall.
Best,
Charles Wang
program sounds great, but when does it run through?
I'll be there in August. Can't wait. I live in Manhattan now (for past 3yrs) and plan on staying in Manhattan thru-out school. Only a 40 min subway ride on the 2 train. Looking forward to meeting you all. I've been out of school for awhile...I'm 31yo. Any older Downstate students?
See you soon-
Mike
See you soon-
Mike
Hi, an older student here too. I'm 23, but will be 24 very soon. Not as wise as a sage 31, but wiser than my fresh out of college self. It's very nice to meet you, and commuting shouldn't be too bad from Manhattan, as long as you stick to the number trains. Since you'll be going opposite the rush hour commute, you'll avoid the crunch. I plan to find a place on the number trains also, though I will be staying in Ye Olde Brooklyn due to the cheaper rent, and it's up 'n' coming hipster status. Can't wait to meet everyone Aug 16th!
Charles
Charles
Hi everyone!
I'm a newbie- I just got accepted to downstate last week. I'm planning on living in brooklyn in sheepshead bay (the buses go straight to downstate and its a 30 min- 40 min commute ) I was afraid i was the only one who was planning a short commute to school!
I'm a newbie- I just got accepted to downstate last week. I'm planning on living in brooklyn in sheepshead bay (the buses go straight to downstate and its a 30 min- 40 min commute ) I was afraid i was the only one who was planning a short commute to school!
Is it possible to drive to Downstate daily, or will there not be any parking available to permit it?
There is parking on campus, but not for first year students. But I think I read somewhere that they have some parking lots near campus that give price reductions to the Downstate community. Public transportation is the way to go in NYC. It's a lot faster, less expensive, and less of a headache. You can get a monthly MTA pass for about $70 that you can use without limit anywhere. And Downstate campus has many bus and subway stops near it, so there are lots of public transportation options.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been living in Brooklyn most of my life and plan to stay where I am when I attend. It's a 20 min drive. I'm looking for garage parking right now so that I can just drive in and run to class. Anybody have suggestions? The closest one listed in the online yellow pages is 3 blocks away. They are asking $130 a month (open daily from 6am - midnight). I thought I had saw one right behind the school (about half a block), but it's not listed online.
But it's great to know that there are others commuting as well. I was scared I would be the only one living off campus! Looking forward to seeing everyone.
But it's great to know that there are others commuting as well. I was scared I would be the only one living off campus! Looking forward to seeing everyone.
I actually think most people do live off campus. I think that the student housing isn't that much of a bargain. If anyone's from out of NYC, the best place to look for an apt is craigslist.com. you can search for apts by area, then by no fee, etc. Just friendly advice for any in need.
Hey all. Rising 2nd year here. I'm really glad to see that you guys are so excited to be joining us at Downstate. Its really a great place to study medicine . Remember to enjoy your last summer as a non-medical student. We are looking foward to seeing you again during orientation and through next year. 🙂
Hi everyone,
Wow it's great that we are getting such a good response! I'm glad to know that others will also be commuting to school. I'm interested in those buses that goto Downstate, I'm going to be checking them out. Perhaps I won't have to resort to being on the number trains. I'm done with my commuting in the tunnels, after working in Manhattan for 2 yrs.
Also, in case no one knows, there is a school car service that will take u to the train station for free, on those dark winter nights, when one should not be out too late in Bklyn. I think it's 24hrs too, you just have to call to schedule ahead.
Charles
Wow it's great that we are getting such a good response! I'm glad to know that others will also be commuting to school. I'm interested in those buses that goto Downstate, I'm going to be checking them out. Perhaps I won't have to resort to being on the number trains. I'm done with my commuting in the tunnels, after working in Manhattan for 2 yrs.
Also, in case no one knows, there is a school car service that will take u to the train station for free, on those dark winter nights, when one should not be out too late in Bklyn. I think it's 24hrs too, you just have to call to schedule ahead.
Charles
Hello Future Downstate MS1's
If you folks are anything like me, I'm sure that you are very excited to start med school, but probably have lots of questions about Downstate or med school in general. I just wanted to take a minute to offer myself to answer any questions or concerns that you might have by emailing me directly at [email protected]. I can't tell you if your name will get pulled from the waitlist, but I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.
Also, I am the president of the Downtate AMA chapter, and I wanted to take a minute to plug joining AMA. We are probably the most active organization on campus and are doing a lot of great things like: a stethoscope drive to send to underprivileged countries, sponsoring New York Cares, volunteering at a local soup kitchen, Downstate E-Pals (email pen-pal correspondance with children at a local elementary school), as well as lots of legislative and educational activities. Our chapter also helped to establish a Standing Committee on Medical Ethics in the AMA to improve education in the medical school curriculum. All members get a copy of Stedman's Medical Dictionary, a weekly subscription to JAMA and a Medical Society of the State of New York clipboard (which comes in very handy for those anatomy practicals). Members also get free registration at local and national conferences and enjoy other benefits such as scholarship, internship and fellowship opportunities. By becoming a part of AMA, you also get free membership in the Medical Society of the State of New York and the Kings County Medical Society. I strongly recommend becoming an AMA member during your tenure at Downstate.
Okay, sorry for the long plug--I just really like what AMA does on our campus and think it's a great thing to be a part of. But feel free to contact me with questions that have nothing to do with AMA.
Good luck to all of you, and see you in a little less than 2 months.
Erick
If you folks are anything like me, I'm sure that you are very excited to start med school, but probably have lots of questions about Downstate or med school in general. I just wanted to take a minute to offer myself to answer any questions or concerns that you might have by emailing me directly at [email protected]. I can't tell you if your name will get pulled from the waitlist, but I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.
Also, I am the president of the Downtate AMA chapter, and I wanted to take a minute to plug joining AMA. We are probably the most active organization on campus and are doing a lot of great things like: a stethoscope drive to send to underprivileged countries, sponsoring New York Cares, volunteering at a local soup kitchen, Downstate E-Pals (email pen-pal correspondance with children at a local elementary school), as well as lots of legislative and educational activities. Our chapter also helped to establish a Standing Committee on Medical Ethics in the AMA to improve education in the medical school curriculum. All members get a copy of Stedman's Medical Dictionary, a weekly subscription to JAMA and a Medical Society of the State of New York clipboard (which comes in very handy for those anatomy practicals). Members also get free registration at local and national conferences and enjoy other benefits such as scholarship, internship and fellowship opportunities. By becoming a part of AMA, you also get free membership in the Medical Society of the State of New York and the Kings County Medical Society. I strongly recommend becoming an AMA member during your tenure at Downstate.
Okay, sorry for the long plug--I just really like what AMA does on our campus and think it's a great thing to be a part of. But feel free to contact me with questions that have nothing to do with AMA.
Good luck to all of you, and see you in a little less than 2 months.
Erick
Hi,
I am very excited to be going to Downstate. I am from Brooklyn and plan on commuting to school. The two buses that come from directions other than Park Slope are B35 ( it goes from Kensington, right next to the F train) and the B49 which comes from Sheepshead Bay.
I know that the B35 comes every 5-10 minutes during regular hours and I think that the B49 also runs often.
I drove to Downstate today to give in some paperwork and there is almost no parking to be found in the streets. The street cleaning rules are Mon and Thur. 8-9:30, Tue and Fri 8-9:30. From the schedule of the 2003 entering class it seems that we'll have to be in class by 9, so I think the MTA would be the best way to go.
Those of you who aren't from NYC, public transportation is usually very reliable and driving to school probably won't be missed by any of us.
I am very excited to be going to Downstate. I am from Brooklyn and plan on commuting to school. The two buses that come from directions other than Park Slope are B35 ( it goes from Kensington, right next to the F train) and the B49 which comes from Sheepshead Bay.
I know that the B35 comes every 5-10 minutes during regular hours and I think that the B49 also runs often.
I drove to Downstate today to give in some paperwork and there is almost no parking to be found in the streets. The street cleaning rules are Mon and Thur. 8-9:30, Tue and Fri 8-9:30. From the schedule of the 2003 entering class it seems that we'll have to be in class by 9, so I think the MTA would be the best way to go.
Those of you who aren't from NYC, public transportation is usually very reliable and driving to school probably won't be missed by any of us.
The B44 which runs on nostrand and new york ave are also really reliable and come from sheepshead bay/midwood which are really safe nice neighborhoods.
The B49 is like two avenue blocks away from the B44. Both buses run quite frequently like every 5-10 minutes.
I'm planning on using either one. you could always use the Q train, get off at parkside avenue and walk 4 blocks to school or take the B12 from the train station if you're feeling really lazy.
Does anyone know if the Downstate shuttle stops at that Q train station?
The B49 is like two avenue blocks away from the B44. Both buses run quite frequently like every 5-10 minutes.
I'm planning on using either one. you could always use the Q train, get off at parkside avenue and walk 4 blocks to school or take the B12 from the train station if you're feeling really lazy.
Does anyone know if the Downstate shuttle stops at that Q train station?
Quick question to any current Downstate students or class of 2008 ... how are the dorm rooms? is it worth looking for an apt. say in park slope or are most people generally happy with the living situation in the dorms? any difference between single bed vs. studio? any chance of parking a car near the dorms?
sorry for the questions just trying to get things lined up for the fall...currently in a master's program at BU and have to finsih a thesis over the next month, so time is of the essence...thanks again for your help, excited to call crooklyn home..
sorry for the questions just trying to get things lined up for the fall...currently in a master's program at BU and have to finsih a thesis over the next month, so time is of the essence...thanks again for your help, excited to call crooklyn home..
hey,
glad to meet you all! This was a great thread to find after not logging on since Jan. What are you all doing about that long laundry list of tasks we have to complete for the admissions dept? Do all those forms have to get filled out before orientation on the 15th. If any of you are around brooklyn we should meet up. I'm just moving into my apartment on 17 and I.
yoni
downstate 2008
[email protected]
p.s. best to email or aim me.
glad to meet you all! This was a great thread to find after not logging on since Jan. What are you all doing about that long laundry list of tasks we have to complete for the admissions dept? Do all those forms have to get filled out before orientation on the 15th. If any of you are around brooklyn we should meet up. I'm just moving into my apartment on 17 and I.
yoni
downstate 2008
[email protected]
p.s. best to email or aim me.
Congrats guys! I'm also hoping to be accepted at Downstate when I eventually apply, one because it's a great institution from what I hear, and two because it'll allow me to stay at home an extra year or two and save some seious $$. As an in-state resident, I'd also be saving money that way. Did any of you folks do the BA/MD or BS/MD programs in order to be guaranteed a seat (from what I hear)? At my university, if one is enrolled in the BS/MD program-- which must be done in HS, unfortunately, or else you've missed the boat-- you are guaranteed a seat if you maintain a 3.5 GPA/SGPA and get a 30 on the MCAT; while those are not "easy" criteria to meet by any stretch given the rigors of pre-med undergrad coursework, I'd still say it's incredibly fair considering. Unfortunately, I screwed up for many years, and will need 2-3 years of a 3.9 or better (all the pre-reqs) to raise my GPA and at least a 35 on the MCAT.
From what I hear, the chances of being accepted into Downstate if you aren't in one of these BS/MD programs is very slim, which is disheartening. Anyone have any info on their admissions criteria? Anyone been accepted who's NOT in one of the aforementioned programs? If so, what were your stats like, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks in advance, and I apologize for somewhat derailing this topic. 🙂
From what I hear, the chances of being accepted into Downstate if you aren't in one of these BS/MD programs is very slim, which is disheartening. Anyone have any info on their admissions criteria? Anyone been accepted who's NOT in one of the aforementioned programs? If so, what were your stats like, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks in advance, and I apologize for somewhat derailing this topic. 🙂
i just got accepted to downstate yesterday. im not from the new york area. i've read that park slope is a nice area to live in. i would like to get a 1br somewhere in park slope. does anyone have suggestions as to where in park slope i should look, and also the price range? any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont know much about brooklyn! thanks in advance!!
lakersfan said:i was wondering what the chances of getting into downstate are if u are an out of state (california) resident? thanks.
considering you're a lakers fan, you have absolutely no chance!
j/k, i spoke with the assistant dean of admissions a couple days ago and he said that there's approximately 10% out-of-staters. but he also said that that number is so low because most people assume incorrectly that suny's only take in-staters. just apply and see what happens!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 842
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 2K
