General Admissions & OTCAS SUNY Downstate and NYU (MSOT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SUNY Downstate or NYU

• SUNY Downstate

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • NYU

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Can't make that decision for you...

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

i_cry_:'(

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this debate has been asked many times and I have had some people give me advice but I feel like starting a thread where we can really delve into this choice helps.

I think both places have a balanced curriculum (ot's actually pretty similar except that anatomy lab is given at different times and minor differences) and gives attention to each area in OT however, some have mentioned that NYU isn't good with peds? Well what about Downstate? I feel like no one mentions anything about the quality of Downstate's education. People usually just mention the cost. Yeah, it's a third of NYU's cost, but is there anything "special" about Downstate?

I liked the environment when I went for my interview. Everyone wished me luck and was pretty welcoming/humble but when I went to visit NYU nobody greeted each other. The environment felt almost hostile and cold. I did, however, love how organized and professional the info session was. I went to a CUNY, so I know how having "crap" microscopes and slides and equipment bums you down during lab, so seeing the resources in the lab room was almost relieving. I don't know, however, if NYU's resources and the classes really provide enough more to charge such a difference.

Location to me doesn't matter, rather finances and the environment/values of the program. I talked with a current student at NYU and I could tell that she loved the program and that it was shaping her "therapist lens" or her perspective as a therapist. She mentioned things she learned to consider for the well-being of her patient that I would never have thought of. Also, I did learn during my interview at Downstate. I enjoyed the article I had to write an essay on, when does that happen? I liked that I was required to do so much for Downstate, the exam, essay, and interview. I felt challenged for an interview; if this reflects the program, that's good. I want to feel challenged, gain important skills, and learn at the end of the day. So I feel like both programs' will prepare me.

At the end of the day, what matters are ones' skills as a therapist, not where they go for their degree. However, what about the name of the college in finding that first job and fieldwork opportunities. I heard that NYU is also good for entrepreneurship, I want to open my own sensory gym for now, but that could change. My main field of interest is pediatrics but I also liked what I saw for hand therapy and neurorehab. I need to have great fieldwork experiences to better my skills. I have heard nothing about the quality or amount of work needed in fieldwork.

I also feel like a job is a job and that both programs are there to teach so that you can pass the NBCOT exam. I know most people here are applying so this might not be relevant, but in case anyone has heard about things related to what I mentioned. Good luck to everyone on any waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.