-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
SUNY Downstate DPT class of 2017
Started by james91091
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I interviewed with them on January 28(originally scheduled for the 21st but was pushed due to snow storm) and heard back today by email.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi do you mind sharing your background info such as gpa and what you studied? Also, what type of questions were you asked in the interview. I plan on applying for Fall 2015.
B.S. in Community HealthHi do you mind sharing your background info such as gpa and what you studied? Also, what type of questions were you asked in the interview. I plan on applying for Fall 2015.
cGPA (PTCAS): 3.71
pGPA (PTCAS): 3.53
The questions they asked were pretty generic: why downstate? what makes a good PT? and describe a patient who has influenced you. I've heard that some interviewers will ask 5-7 questions but mine only asked about 4 because we got into a very interesting discussion about the PT profession so we literally just chit-chatted for an hour and ran out of time. Honestly, the interview did not feel like an interview (all of the people who I've spoken to who has interviewed with them said the same thing) because the faculty seem to be very down to earth and use the opportunity to talk to you and get to know you. I know applicants who had great grades who got accepted and applicants who did not have such great grades (<3.2cGPA) who also has been accepted.
Thanks for sharing your info! Its nice to know that they take people with gpa's < 3.2. I have a a 3.2 GPA so far and I am currently in my last semester of college. I am retaking some courses now and in the summer so that I could get my grades up. Do you know how many students they accept? Do you mind sharing your GRE scores? I received a 290 and im not sure how that compares. Also, what did those students with low grades have in their favor(good interviews, good prereq gpa, etc)
verbal:149Thanks for sharing your info! Its nice to know that they take people with gpa's < 3.2. I have a a 3.2 GPA so far and I am currently in my last semester of college. I am retaking some courses now and in the summer so that I could get my grades up. Do you know how many students they accept? Do you mind sharing your GRE scores? I received a 290 and im not sure how that compares. Also, what did those students with low grades have in their favor(good interviews, good prereq gpa, etc)
quant: 156
writing: 4.0
I would re-take the GRE if I were you, most schools recommend a 300 combined in order to be competitive.
I think for the most part they did well on the interview because they showed that their grades don't necessarily reflect who they are and what they are capable of accomplishing in PT school. Also, they seemed friendly and had personality so that definitely helps (schools want well-rounded students).
I was told that less than 30 students will be taken for this upcoming class but I know that they have taken 30 in previous classes.
I feel that since schools like Hunter, Stony Brook, and Touro sent out their acceptances so early, many applicants rejected interviews with Downstate which made it easier for applicants who did not receive any acceptances yet to get into a school. I'm not saying that is the reason why the people who had lower GPA's got accepted but it seems reasonable that the over qualified applicants already knew their destinations by late December/early-January while Downstate did not start interviews until mid-January, making it easier to get into Downstate.
Just got accepted to the program and will likely go. 2 of my other friends also got accepted. Anyone else heard from them and are planning to join the program?
Hey James,
Did you get your acceptance packet yet?
Not yet but a friend of mine received his last week. He said it was all paperwork and you need to pay a $100 deposit to save a seat in the class. Are you planning to attend DS?Hey James,
Did you get your acceptance packet yet?
Most likely =)
Still waiting to hear back from a couple of schools, but this seems like the best option for me.
Do we have a facebook group going?
Still waiting to hear back from a couple of schools, but this seems like the best option for me.
Do we have a facebook group going?
Not that I know of. Which schools are you waiting to hear back from?
Still waiting to hear back from Staten Island and Sacred Heart U.
I just created the fb group. I will e-mail the secretary so she can spread the link to accepted students 🙂
Did you observe a class in Downstate? If yes, when did you go...I may have already met you lol
I just created the fb group. I will e-mail the secretary so she can spread the link to accepted students 🙂
Did you observe a class in Downstate? If yes, when did you go...I may have already met you lol
No unfortunately I have not. I really wanted to talk to 2nd/3rd year students about their experiences in the school.
I just called Staten Island right now actually and asked when we should hear back by. She said they're sending out acceptances by mail today so hopefully by the end of this week.
Which school do you want to go to most?
I just called Staten Island right now actually and asked when we should hear back by. She said they're sending out acceptances by mail today so hopefully by the end of this week.
Which school do you want to go to most?
Oh good 🙂 Although, I don't have high hopes for CSI since they only accept 18-20 students and interviewed lots of people. Plus, I don't know how convenient it would be living on Staten Island for me. The price is really only factor that's motivating me to stay interested lol.
I would say Downstate is my top choice out of the three I mentioned.
I just emailed the secretary regarding the fb group, she should be sending you an e-mail with the link sometime soon.
I would say Downstate is my top choice out of the three I mentioned.
I just emailed the secretary regarding the fb group, she should be sending you an e-mail with the link sometime soon.
That's great to hear. If I get into CSI I will probably go there instead of Downstate since it is more affordable and I live in Brooklyn so the travel isn't bad at all.
Do you know anyone else who has been accepted to Downstate?
Do you know anyone else who has been accepted to Downstate?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No one that I know applied to Downstate. This program is not as popular as Hunter or CSI or Stonybrook etc. I think this fact fell into some peoples favor =p
Hopefully CSI gives you an answer soon enough so maybe you can save $100.
Hopefully CSI gives you an answer soon enough so maybe you can save $100.
Hi how did they contact you for an interview? And had your file status on application say " returned to admissions from com"I interviewed with them on January 28(originally scheduled for the 21st but was pushed due to snow storm) and heard back today by email.
Hopefully good news.My status says that as well. I spoke to them a week ago and they said all decisions wouldnt be made until the end of april. Im curious of what that status means though.
they called me and scheduled an interview. my file status did not say that. have they contacted you at all?Hi how did they contact you for an interview? And had your file status on application say " returned to admissions from com"
Thank you. Unfortunately no word yet.they called me and scheduled an interview. my file status did not say that. have they contacted you at all?
you should give them a call and ask about your application. its quite late already if you have not heard from them
Thanks I will🙂you should give them a call and ask about your application. its quite late already if you have not heard from them