Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate OT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OThopeful21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
I am interested in speaking with a current student (or recent graduate) who attends SUNY Downstate in New York. I have attended many information sessions but would love to hear some personal experiences with the program.

I would love to know more about the pace of the program, the quality of the professors, the facilities, opportunities to work within the community, how they have handled COVID-19, etc! Any insight would be most appreciated. Schools in NY are so overwhelmingly expensive and this program, though competitive, is much more affordable.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same! I was looking to see how to best prepare for the HSRT. Super excited and also nervous. :) Good luck, everyone!

otgirl2024, I am so sorry I didn't see this earlier! I hope your interview went well and that you felt proud after (SO much to get through!)

SF-NYC, if it saves you any time...I spent hours trying to research the HSRT and find ways to prepare and my honest opinion is that you sort of just have to trust your gut and take it! Because it tests things like reasoning and inferences, I don't think you can prepare much in the short term. At least that was my experience. I stressed myself out a little trying to get ready for it, found very little helpful information, and then when I finally took the test, I realized that it didn't help/wasn't really necessary. One thing I will say about actually taking the test is that it's quick so read slowly, and try to really understand what the question is asking before jumping in. I noticed I was getting ahead of myself and had to slow down.

Good luck to you both!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all - First year student here. Please reach out to me if you have questions regarding your application, the interview process, or the program in general.

Hi!! I had my interview but I have been placed on the list of alternates. Do you happen to know anything about that?

Me too, I have also been placed on the list of alternates. :)

I have sent my Health Clearance Forms (immunization records, etc.) to SUNY Downstate Health Services, including follow-up emails and they have not returned emails or phone calls. I sent the forms before the due date on the Matriculation Checklist and it still shows as not having been completed. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have sent my Health Clearance Forms (immunization records, etc.) to SUNY Downstate Health Services, including follow-up emails and they have not returned emails or phone calls. I sent the forms before the due date on the Matriculation Checklist and it still shows as not having been completed. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yeah, I submitted my forms on the due date. They replied in an email saying that they will review them and contact me. This was in 12/1 in case you want to compare with your situation. My checklist is also still empty for that section.
Maybe they are swamped or will review in batches later? Did someone email you back from Student Health after you submitted?

Yeah, I submitted my forms on the due date. They replied in an email saying that they will review them and contact me. This was in 12/1 in case you want to compare with your situation. My checklist is also still empty for that section.
Maybe they are swamped or will review in batches later? Did someone email you back from Student Health after you submitted?
Thank you for the comment. I see. I submitted it to them before last December. I will email or call them later because that checklist includes my important information. I am worried if I sent it to a wrong email address.
Are you attending to SUNY??

Hi!

I submitted all of my forms before the due dates and some of them took awhile to be updated in the checklist so I wouldn't worry too much! I was able to call student health and confirm they received my health forms (which I had emailed to [email protected]) even though they weren't marked as completed in the checklist. I know you said you already did but I might try calling student health again as I had more luck that way than with email.

Thank you for the comment. I see. I submitted it to them before last December. I will email or call them later because that checklist includes my important information. I am worried if I sent it to a wrong email address.
Are you attending to SUNY??
Hey - Don't stress over this. I had classmates DURING the first summer semester who still had items incomplete. They're not the best at updating or getting back so as long as you send everything in, you'll be ok.

Hey - Don't stress over this. I had classmates DURING the first summer semester who still had items incomplete. They're not the best at updating or getting back so as long as you send everything in, you'll be ok.
Thank you so much. They just replied back to me what I was missing. So, I have to go to see the doctor again.... I am getting more nervous if I get off the waitlist. Maybe, I have to think about applying to SUNY again this year....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much. They just replied back to me what I was missing. So, I have to go to see the doctor again.... I am getting more nervous if I get off the waitlist. Maybe, I have to think about applying to SUNY again this year....
Can't tell you how many times I heard my classmates say they had to see their doctor again. Nothing to worry about

You're on the waitlist?

You're on the waitlist?
Yes!!! But, SUNY wanted me to do everything except fingerprint. It is already March, so I am thinking about applying again. I found a lot of cons and pros. I have to find a job and volunteer....

Hello, I was taken off the waitlist today and have accepted the offer right away:)

Congratulations!! When did you apply?? I am still waiting for it.....
Thank you!!! I applied beginning of November and was taken off the waitlist beginning of March :)

Last edited:
Hi all - First year student here. Please reach out to me if you have questions regarding your application, the interview process, or the program in general.
Hello, do you remember approximately when you've received further information regarding the program (Financial Aid Packet, Tuition, Orientation/Class Registration, Student ID, etc.) and how (ground mail, email, etc.) you've received that information?

Hello, do you remember approximately when you've received further information regarding the program (Financial Aid Packet, Tuition, Orientation/Class Registration, Student ID, etc.) and how (ground mail, email, etc.) you've received that information?
Hi. I had to submit FAFSA by the 1st of March for Financial Aid Packet even though I was waitlisted. I asked the financial aid office.

Hi. I had to submit FAFSA by the 1st of March for Financial Aid Packet even though I was waitlisted. I asked the financial aid office.
Thank you very much for the response :) I haven't filed the FAFSA yet and have emailed the financial aid office about it, then was informed that I should complete it ASAP! Guess I will be submitting it ASAP as advised😅

Hello - I believe I received all that info a couple weeks before the start of the program. I had my email set up on the first week of May with financial aid info available to me, and orientation was the day after Memorial Day, and before the first day of class. You'll get your student ID's when they allow you to come to campus. Not sure how that's going to look for your class right now. Everything is sent via email.

Hello - I believe I received all that info a couple weeks before the start of the program. I had my email set up on the first week of May with financial aid info available to me, and orientation was the day after Memorial Day, and before the first day of class. You'll get your student ID's when they allow you to come to campus. Not sure how that's going to look for your class right now. Everything is sent via email.
Hello, thank you very much for the information! :)

Hi. I am wondering if someone received a phone call from a professor at SUNY. The professor who interviewed me called me on the 10th (Saturday at 10 am). He asked me a few questions and then told me that he will email me back about their decision about my waitlist status by last Friday. However, I have not received anything from him yet. I also emailed him, but I have not received any messages yet. I am wondering if anyone is in a similar situation or if you have any suggestions for me.

Thank you.

Hi. I am wondering if someone received a phone call from a professor at SUNY. The professor who interviewed me called me on the 10th (Saturday at 10 am). He asked me a few questions and then told me that he will email me back about their decision about my waitlist status by last Friday. However, I have not received anything from him yet. I also emailed him, but I have not received any messages yet. I am wondering if anyone is in a similar situation or if you have any suggestions for me.

Thank you.
Hello, you might need to send a follow-up email to the Professor and the admissions office explaining your situation again. I believe everyone's still working remotely at this time, which means they probably won't pick up the call even if you call. I guess you can still try calling the admissions office and leave a message to see if anyone will contact you back :)