SUNY Downstate Physical Therapy Program. DPT 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolseodpt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone apply to SUNY Downstate DPT program???:scared:
I did, and I am still not hearing anything from them.
they told me that they usually complete most of the application processes by the end of January but I guess its being a little delayed this year since the deadline for application was postponed this year for some reason.

If there is anyone who applied, had an interview, accepted or rejected, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't, but you should call to see where they are in the application process. It won't hurt. Don't you hate the waiting game. I plan on applying there next cycle.

Yeah, I think I should...
I applied to only two programs this year (Mercy and Downstate) since I don't have my BA degree yet. Im pretty sure that Ill have a lot more choices if I apply next year but I JUST CAN'T WAIT, I HATE WATING!!!
so here I am...Ill go to either one of them if I get accepted. (I don't know about Mercy but the Downstate is not a bad school at all)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and interviewed there last week. They said it could take up to two months for them to decide on admissions. They said only 20-25 people will be getting in this year.

Really? How did they inform u about the interview? Did they call? Email? And would u mind telling me the interview questions u had in there? And was that a group interview or one to one interview? How long was it and how many questions did they ask? Sorry for asking too many questions at the same time... I'm desperate :( thanks in advance

I got an email from them a little over three weeks ago inviting me for an interview. It was a one-on-one interview. The questions were very standard. Why PT as opposed to OT or med school. What makes a good PT? What about you makes you think you'll be a good PT? They asked about what you learned from your volunteering experiences; how you deal with stress; They also asked about any particular experiences during your volunteering or shadowing where you learned how to deal with a difficult patient or upsetting situation. You also have to write two short essays, which I did after the interview. One was on a difficult situation and how you handled it and how it could have been handled better. The other was something about learning from experiences with people from different cultural backgrounds as you. The interviewer seemed to be filling out a form as I answered his questions, which makes me think they are standard questions they ask everyone.

thanks Josh, you definitely helped me a lot.
which schools did you apply to other than Downstate?
I also applied to Mercy College and Have an interview next Tuesday.

BTW, how was your application like for Downstate?
did you finish all the prereqs? do you have a BA or BS? hows your GPA?

I don't know why I'm not hearing anything about the interview from them yet. probably because I don't have any 4yr college degree, or because my chemistryI class was only 2.5 credits? I thought it will be ok since I took chemistryII w/ 4.5 credits and organic chemistry. sigh. :(

I applied to Hunter and SUNY. I was wait listed at Hunter. I'm not sure what my GPA is b/c I have a degree from a few years ago and I think they've taken some classes from that time and rolled it into my current GPA. I do know that I've gotten A's in both semesters of chemistry, both semesters of A and P, and my first semester of physics. I'm currently taking physics 2 and child psychology to complete my pre-reqs. I have a feeling not being done with those hurt me at Hunter. I did ok on my GRE, nothing special. Before I took any classes, I emailed the course descriptions to both Hunter and SUNY to make sure they were acceptable as pre-reqs.

Hey Josh, are you a Hunter student?? because I am. who do you have for physics2? let me know if you are taking Dr. Rajam's class. I took his class last semester and did really good.

Had an interview with Downstate a few weeks ago and got an acceptance letter this past weekend. Put in my deposit but still waiting on other schools. So far i know a friend of mine also got an acceptance and she put in her deposit as well.

I thought it would be easy for me to get into Downstate's program.
everyone is having interviews and acceptance letters and even put in deposits... (congrats for those who got accepted!)
But Im still not hearing anything yet... I even emailed them yesterday in the morning asking the status of my application and haven't got any answer for it.

this is so depressing...:(

Cool, I know it can be a bit depressing, but look on the bright side that you have secured one interview. I would focus and put all my energy into preparing for that interview. You can apply again next cycle and I am sure that if your stats are within range you will get a call. After this application cycle, I would meet with someone at SUNY Downstate and ask them to review your application to see why you were not called in for an interview. If you get into your other school, you probably won't have to bother. :)

I went to their open house and had a good meeting with Dr. Katz and never got the impression that it would be an easy school to get into. That is why I held off my application until next year after I finish my prereqs. Remain faithful that you may still get a call. If not, there is always next year.

Hey Josh, are you a Hunter student?? because I am. who do you have for physics2? let me know if you are taking Dr. Rajam's class. I took his class last semester and did really good.

No. I take Physics II at City Tech in Brooklyn. I got my acceptance email from SUNY on Saturday. As long as I get a C in Physics and Child Psych, I'm in. Hope everything works out for you and your schools.

God, I'm still waiting for an interview invitation....with overall gpa of 3.6, prereq gpa of 3.7 and gre score of 1450... Can't believe this...I took the last two prereqs last fall. I got 3 recomandation letters from downstate hospital pts and 2 letters from my professors. 150 hrs of volunteer in two settings, 2 years of paramedic in army...WHAT THE HELL AM I MISSING??? why am I still waiting??? I didn't write any f words on my essay!?

I am currently awaiting decision from SD after having a good interview w/ Dr. Farhad a couple weeks ago. However, if excepted i would be torn between Touro (Manhattan Campus) and SD.

It was originally a no brainer. I would have SD hands down. However, after speaking with a few recent DPT graduates, I'm not sure where I stand. They said that most teachers were horrible (with the exception of a mother and son professor duo). And they were adamant in that if they had to do it over, they would pay more to go to Touro. When I visited Touro, the current students told me they really liked the program too. Have any of you had different/same opinions from current or former DPT students??

I volunteered with 3 pt's from SD they told me the program was hard but it was better then every other schools. The PT's from SD were the most knowledgeable out of all the pt's that i worked with. Other pt's told me that its easier to find a job after SD then alot of other schools. Howa12d ive recently been reading alot of bad things about touro from this forum.

Coolseo I feel your pain. I too have not yet heard anything from SD. Have you checked the status of your application on the online checklist? There was a serious delay in getting them to consider my application complete because they would not acknowledge my grades or credits from my junior year abroad. Now that the issue is resolved, my application is finally in final review...I have called and emailed them to find out WHEN I will find out about their decision and they told me it could be up until the first day of class.

I'm still waiting for interview invitation.
Does anyone have any news??
anyone accpeted or had an interview??

i interviewed on feb. 15th, and was accepted about a week and a half later