SUNY Downstate vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nada. Nothing. I think I've ruled out Wake, that's about it. The war room is tomorrow with all the financials etc. around the table to finally decide. You?

Members don't see this ad.

anitra627 said:
Nada. Nothing. I think I've ruled out Wake, that's about it. The war room is tomorrow with all the financials etc. around the table to finally decide. You?
flip floppin like a fish outta wahta. :rolleyes:

seethrew said:
ok. the financial thing *is* important. i feel like ive been getting some smoke blown in my eyes tho. my face-off is tulane v. uva. i cant comprehend what difference 30K will mean to me in the future... the more expensive option (tulane) is dangling a nomination for an award that will make it the cheaper option, but wont tell me when such information is revealed - vagueness. really frustrating. :(

*sigh* poor me, right. :rolleyes:

In your case, go with UVA. It's as good, if not better, than Tulane. Plus it's not so damn humid.

Anitra,
I am graduating from Downstate in a couple of weeks, so I am in a position to give you my opinion of Downstate..can't say much for Tulane

1. Tuition- obviously this speaks for itself. You will be saving tons of money by going to Downstate..no doubt about it. A friend of mine who goes to NYMC (probably comparable to Tulane) is close to 250k in debt.
2. Clinical experience- incredible. working at kings county hospital, u do everything. You draw the blood, you put in IVs, you do the ABgs, bloodcultures.(ancillary staff is improving at county) Students are highly involved in patient care. Medical students do so much and learn so much here, and this is precisely why many residency programs look favorably upon downstate students. The pathology is second to none thanks to the large indigent pop the hospital services.
3. Basic scienceyrs- as previously stated..in my opinion a bit weak, block system in place, works ok,but can be better.
4. Match list- we match very well. don't forget many will stay local and that is why we match many more to community hospitals. But this year, we did extremely well with our specialty match. We had 10/11 ophtho, 1/2 ent, 5/7 urology, 5/5 ortho, 2/2 derm. We had close to 65 people match for er and anesthes. We also hold our own: 3-optho, 1derm, 2uro, 2ortho, 8em, etc.

I am a NY state resident. I liked downstate a lot. You will work hard..no doubt about that. You will learn and see a lot. Downstate will prepare you exceptionally well for residency. As has been said before, wherever you go, it is what you do that will define your success in residency. Tulane has a good reputation but so does Downstate. Downstate actually has a huge alumni base and ranks 7th nationally in alums holding faculty positions.

If you have specific questions, let me know. I'll try to answer them.

No, I am just trying to become financially more astute considering I will have to be paying back loans starting in about 2 months. I figured all this out by plugging it into a loan calculator. Here, you can try:

And paying back an extra $150-200 per month is not as benign as you may think, especially when you already are paying $700 for loan repayments. It is more like $150-200 less you can spend on leisure, food, or savings. This counts a lot as a resident. Remember, life doesn't start after residency ends.

That was sort of my point. That car salespeople try to distract from the fact that the car you are about to buy by telling you what the monthly rate is, not how much money you are going to owe the bank.

If you start paying back as a resident (I couldn't even imagine how), 150 a month is a big deal. But even if you start paying back fresh out of residency, it does make a difference. If you plan on becoming an orthopod, interventional cardiologist or retinal surgeon, 30k is indeed peanuts. If you are a pediatrician, and you have family, 150/month will make the difference between keeping that decrepit car from residency vs driving something half way decent.

The main advantage people seem to quote for Tulane are attributes like 'a more fun, happy, vibrant, nurturing, environment'. If that is worth 30k to you, heck its a free society.

I am a student at Tulane who spent elective time at Downstate. King's County and Charity are both great hospitals to work in. I mean great in terms of pathology. At either place you'll see a wider range of pathology and a more advanced state of disease than at almost any other location in the country. Tulane matches very well nationally. Downstate matches very well in the tri-state area. Downstate is even more ghetto than Charity, but I know you can live in nice neighborhoods a short commute away. I only got to know a few people at Downstate, but they seemed happy enough. I know that Tulane students are really happy to be here, the weather is warm obviously, and there is plenty to do in New Orleans. There may be more to do in NY, but who can afford it with your $20 cover at $12 drinks?

I think you can't go wrong with either program. If you want to try something new, enjoy the warmth, and don't mind paying a lot in tuition, then come to Tulane. You'll probably love it just like everyone else. If you want to save money, stay close to home, and not go out much because it silly expensive, then go to Downstate. You'll probably be happy there too. I think there's something to be said for moving around some while your young and can enjoy it.

i hope u werked things out girl! :luck:
i think u cannot possibly make a wrong decision.
wake, suny, nola... all awesome places.
you'll love any of 'em.
and come out the other end one heck of pre-cardiologist! ;)
(so long as u have a/c and a blow drier :laugh: )

the *hard* part of premed is over.... ride that wave into the next round.

*ding ding*