SUNY Downstate Waitlist Thread 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... only one person off the wait list for the first half of June??? This seems really slow. Has anyone called or heard anything? How many people have been accepted in total? There are only 126 people on the Facebook accepted list (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=251223400582), but who know what that actually means.

Looking for a little encouragement.

Looking for a little information.

Members don't see this ad.

A girl in the other Downstate thread said she got in after being moved to the Alternate List from the Hold list.

I've given up hope, though. Mind is completely set on reapplying.

Oh, and getting messy tonight :D

Called admissions this morning (718) 270-2446, not terribly helpful. Movement is slow. That's it.

Also, 130 people on the OFFICIAL Downstate COM 2015 Facebook page as of today. A lot of people would like to tell us that this means nothing. I would rather take it as a hopeful sign. I would rather hope to get in and start reapplying rather than just moving forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Called admissions this morning (718) 270-2446, not terribly helpful. Movement is slow. That's it.

Also, 130 people on the OFFICIAL Downstate COM 2015 Facebook page as of today. A lot of people would like to tell us that this means nothing. I would rather take it as a hopeful sign. I would rather hope to get in and start reapplying rather than just moving forward.

Take it how you like. I deleted my FB account and I'm sure there are others who didn't bother to join.

I am a new SDN member and I also want to give words of encouragement because this site helped me out while I was praying and waiting!
I was called with an offer to Downstate this morning. I was taken off the Hold list about a week ago and I submitted all the forms yesterday and got called today! So there is still movement and thus, there is still hope!!!

Awesome congrats. When you say ALL the forms- do you mean the alternate & health forms?

Thank you and yes I submitted those. I also submitted the BLS stuff and my transcript was mailed to them.

*Just to add. I don't want to make it seem like I got called because my forms were finally complete. But I was told that it is beneficial to get all of that in as soon as possible because until classes start, if they have to take anyone off of the wait list, it's most likely going to be people who already have their files complete.

Last edited:
Oh gosh darn~

i turned in all of my forms, my transcripts, and my BLS
But the checklist is saying I need a second PPD (because I was born out of the country) and an adult Tdap (I took it as a child, but I guess I also need to take the adult shot).
The problem is that I can't get the second PPD unless I actually go to the campus student health over there. And considering I live ~1000 miles away, I don't think I can make it anytime soon.

So, considering that it seems to be important, do you think I should just throw down the $400 and fly over to SUNY Downstate to get my second PPD +Tdap? Or should I just get the Tdap shot for $40 over here and send them my confirmation, and wait for to get the PPD later?

Or am I just being paranoid and shouldn't worry about this?

Oh gosh darn~

But the checklist is saying I need a second PPD (because I was born out of the country) and an adult Tdap (I took it as a child, but I guess I also need to take the adult shot).
The problem is that I can't get the second PPD unless I actually go to the campus student health over there. And considering I live ~1000 miles away, I don't think I can make it anytime soon.

So, considering that it seems to be important, do you think I should just throw down the $400 and fly over to SUNY Downstate to get my second PPD +Tdap? Or should I just get the Tdap shot for $40 over here and send them my confirmation, and wait for to get the PPD later?

Hey ipodtouch, I got the same thing about the second PPD, but I'm in NYC so it's not a big deal for me to head there. Have you called them and explained your situation? I'm sure you're not the only accepted OOS student with this issue. Also, when I called Student Health they told me that as long as it was done before registration it was fine. Pretty sure you'll be ok waiting until you move out here to get that PPD.

Oh, I'm actually on the alternate-list
I wish I was accepted :(

I was just referring to what Keyotta said:
But I was told that it is beneficial to get all of that in as soon as possible because until classes start, if they have to take anyone off of the wait list, it's most likely going to be people who already have their files complete.

It would probably help if I fly over there and get it as soon as possible?

Oh, I'm actually on the alternate-list
I wish I was accepted :(

I was just referring to what Keyotta said:

It would probably help if I fly over there and get it as soon as possible?

Why cant you get the PPD from your doctor where you live and just mail the results to Downstate?

The second PPD is something Downstate has to do exclusively. I asked the student health center and they told me i had to do it there.

I already have my PPD results, but people who were born outside of the US have to get a second specific test.

Oh okay - well I guess you can call them up and ask, but I think as long as you have all your other forms in it shouldn't be a problem (it would be kind of silly to expect you to fly all the way to NYC unless you were already accepted)...but that is just my opinion!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also don't think it would be worth it to fly all the way for the second PPD unless you're really itching for a summer vacation in NYC. When you get taken off the alternate list, there will still be time to take care of it. Not that I know what I'm talking about, but I would venture a guess that there are probably extensions granted to people accepted later too. With regards to what Keyotta said, I think you're in great shape already having done all the other paperwork. :thumbup: The adcom must know about this second PPD requirement and I doubt they would hold that against you especially since that can be so easily rectified once you get here. Good luck! :luck:

I agree. I don't think you should worry about that or fly over to NYC just for that. But you can still call the admissions office or the health center and ask them what's the best course of action to take.

Oh gosh darn~

The Tdap you can get from your doctor. Don't worry about the second PPD--just get it during orientation week (call SHS first and confirm). I dont think your acceptance is contingent on you having that done. I was accepted before I got my repeat PPD and Tdap.

Was accepted off the alternate list today! :D

Was accepted off the alternate list today! :D
A) Congrats
B) When will it be mine turn for Downstate
C) Were you ever on the Hold list?
D) Did you have all your medical stuff/BLS course completed?
Z) Any advice for the rest of us, or was the acceptance completely out of the blue?

(feel free to PM any particularly juicy insider info)

Wow congrats! good to know that things are moving at least~

And concerning my predicament. What makes things more :scared: is that I am a New York resident and my home address is in Buffalo. But I'm working in Georgia right now, and i am not sure if the admissions office is aware of that. I'm just hoping they don't think "this guy doesn't even have the determination to drive here."

I sent them an email explaining my situation and asking if getting a PPD/Tdap sooner will notably benefit my application.
I received a response saying it was forwarded to Student Health... which I doubt can answer my question~

A) Congrats
B) When will it be mine turn for Downstate
C) Were you ever on the Hold list?
D) Did you have all your medical stuff/BLS course completed?
Z) Any advice for the rest of us, or was the acceptance completely out of the blue?

(feel free to PM any particularly juicy insider info)

Thank you! I was on the hold list and was moved to the alternate list about 2 weeks ago. I did submit my official transcript, added Downstate to my fafsa, and sent in my medical forms as well. I did not complete the BLS course however. I did send in an update/interest letter after I was put on the alternate list. I would advise anyone that is interested to send an interest letter as I think that did help as well as fill out all the forms - because as other posters have mentioned, the more determination & interest that you show in Downstate, the better chance you have! Good luck to you!!

Wow congrats! good to know that things are moving at least~

And concerning my predicament. What makes things more :scared: is that I am a New York resident and my home address is in Buffalo. But I'm working in Georgia right now, and i am not sure if the admissions office is aware of that. I'm just hoping they don't think "this guy doesn't even have the determination to drive here."

I sent them an email explaining my situation and asking if getting a PPD/Tdap sooner will notably benefit my application.
I received a response saying it was forwarded to Student Health... which I doubt can answer my question~

Honestly, I really don't think Student Health issues will in any way influence your chances of admission. They will (ideally) only look at your qualifications as an applicant when they review your app to decide to take you off the list.

That being said, having everything prepared early can only help make things less hectic when you do get off the list/are admitted. Also, SS01 is right--doing anything to show a school you're interested by continuing to write to them during the application season will benefit you!

Thanks~~

Apologies for sounding desperate. I feel like I've been backed into a corner and am brashly looking for solutions.

I did send them an update letter a few months ago, a letter of intent one month ago, and a new recommendation from my new research PI a few weeks. Perhaps another update letter may help?
Nothing has really changed though, other than continuing my research position.

Thanks~~

Apologies for sounding desperate. I feel like I've been backed into a corner and am brashly looking for solutions.

I did send them an update letter a few months ago, a letter of intent one month ago, and a new recommendation from my new research PI a few weeks. Perhaps another update letter may help?
Nothing has really changed though, other than continuing my research position.

It sounds like you've done everything you can at this point--I don't sending a letter without anything "meaty" to add to an update letter would help then. Good luck!

NB: I could be wrong, so maybe someone with more experience can advise whether it's worthwhile to send ANOTHER update letter. Maybe if your PI could advise them on what you've been doing in lab and any "significant" contributions you've made as of late, that could help!

:luck:

Yeah, nothing has essentially changed in my lab work in the past three months.

I am, however, preparing to work on a high-profile publication. But I don't know if I should mention this at all, because if I am accepted, I will essentially be dropping my end of the work on my way to medical school. (might even be a bid to not get accepted)

So I guess I will sit tight and hope for the best~~~
:sleep:

Yeah, nothing has essentially changed in my lab work in the past three months.

I am, however, preparing to work on a high-profile publication. But I don't know if I should mention this at all, because if I am accepted, I will essentially be dropping my end of the work on my way to medical school. (might even be a bid to not get accepted)

So I guess I will sit tight and hope for the best~~~
:sleep:

Its good to update them. For me I sent out just a letter of intent to Downstate right after I was waitlisted. I was accepted the first week of May 15th. I would send something every 1 month, and in addition to updating them on what your doing, you should tell them why you are a great fit for the school if you haven't done so already.

But, I think in the end, update letters don't make or break you.

anyone get e-mails asking for updates? I already sent an update letter, and have nothing else really to add!

No e-mails here. What did it look like\say? When was the last time you updated them?

Also, has anyone called in the last few weeks?

anyone get e-mails asking for updates? I already sent an update letter, and have nothing else really to add!

Not to raise any false hopes, but I think this may mean that you have been accepted. There is another poster on the main Downstate forum that got the same email last year, and got accepted soon after.

I guess it is over for me fellas.
I was alternate-listed in april and I sent Downstate all my completed forms, a new rec, a considerable update with three major ECs, and a letter of intent a month ago. But I haven't received a single phone call or email, while everyone left and right are getting accepted (even a fair percentage of people on the hold-list have gotten in). I think it's pretty safe to say that they just don't want me~

:(

Congrats to all who have gotten in!

Just a question on the side out of curiosity (and maybe a touch of frustration). Why do medical schools begin accepting students off the hold-list when there are alternate-listed students still waiting? Do they perhaps just take a gander at our file and say, "whoops that was a mistake." ?

Not to raise any false hopes, but I think this may mean that you have been accepted. There is another poster on the main Downstate forum that got the same email last year, and got accepted soon after.

I guess it is over for me fellas.
I was alternate-listed in april and I sent Downstate all my completed forms, a new rec, a considerable update with three major ECs, and a letter of intent a month ago. But I haven't received a single phone call or email, while everyone left and right are getting accepted (even a fair percentage of people on the hold-list have gotten in). I think it's pretty safe to say that they just don't want me~

:(

Congrats to all who have gotten in!

Just a question on the side out of curiosity (and maybe a touch of frustration). Why do medical schools begin accepting students off the hold-list when there are alternate-listed students still waiting? Do they perhaps just take a gander at our file and say, "whoops that was a mistake." ?

Do you live in NYC? Many of the people on the hold list were moved to the alternate list first, and then accepted - although you are right, some people were accepted straight off the hold list. It IS a frustrating process, I have no idea how the adcom decides who to take off the lists...

As I mentioned in the other thread, I got an email asking for an update at the end of last workweek. I got called for an acceptance on Monday.
I did not previously send an update letter, and I was never moved from the hold list to the alternate list.

Hey everyone,

I heard from a fairly reliable source (a friend that wouldn't talk for the sake of talking), that if the "$100 deposit" vanishes off of your checklist listings, that means the admissions office has written you off and there is no acceptance coming.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm or challenge the validity of this statement. If it's right, then it's curtains closed for me~

Hey everyone,

I heard from a fairly reliable source (a friend that wouldn't talk for the sake of talking), that if the "$100 deposit" vanishes off of your checklist listings, that means the admissions office has written you off and there is no acceptance coming.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm or challenge the validity of this statement. If it's right, then it's curtains closed for me~

Mine has been gone since 6/10/11. How reliable is this source?

He's a medical student friend of mine that is pretty knowledgeable with schools.
It was one of those "I know from friends at Downstate" and "I'm pretty sure" kind of facts.

That's why I'm posting this here. I'm just hoping someone could discredit this~
:scared:

Can anyone who was recently accepted comment on this?

I don't recall ever seeing a $100 deposit on my checklist, and I was looking for a "deposit" on my checklist since being placed on it in early June. I must have been rejected as soon I was alt listed loool.

Hey everyone,

Yeahhhhhhhh if someone could just go ahead and confirm or deny this would be grrrrreeeaaaat. Mmkay?

53001d1192652682-halloween-costume-ideas-bill-lumbergh-1_full.jpg

Any news? SUNY Downstate COM 2015 Facebook page has jumped to 149 members (that is up 10 since 6/29).

Has anyone called the main office lately?

Also, I am still struggling to finish my checklist. Has anyone competed theirs yet and what do you think about this improving your chances?

Last edited:
Anyone else hear anything? I was asked for a spring/summer update at the end of June and was moved from the hold list to the alternate list the first week of July. I'm still praying there will be some movement this week. Such a waiting game!

Greetings,

I requested information regarding waitlist movement and class sizes. The class is full. Our only chance is for someone to drop out.

Maybe with this recent tuition increase there will be a few changes.

Good luck on reapplications everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.