SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sodalime

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me any info on SUNY Downstate; it's academics, clinical work, attendings and it's reputation. It seems like their grads go into top notch fellowships and the president of the ASA is their Chairman, yet no one seems to mention it amongst the top programs. WHY?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, getting fellowships isn't that hard, they aren't in all that much demand. Recently, the top grads go into private practice since there are so many great jobs out there. And even back when the job market was bad, the good grads from ivy's all got jobs, but the others had to pursue fellowships. So I don't think fellowsip placement is a good way to rank a program. As for being the ASA chairman, I don't know whether that is a sought after job or not.
Having said that, anyone who has been to the hospital could tell you why it isn't highly rated. The neighborhood is awful. Most people will not want to work or live in that area if they have a choice. Other than that it may have a good clinical exposure, but other programs do to.