SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skijumpbump

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who is a general surgery resident or a MS who has rotated through there PM me? I have some quick questions before I finalize my rank list. I have read things online however most of those are at least 5 years old and was hoping to get a more up to date point of view.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is good news for the Downstate residency program. It'll help prolong its viability for the time being. If some of the LICH residents are taken on as Downstate residents, maybe it'll cut down on the workload for the people? More staff to divide up the work

Downstate is pulling the plug on LICH.

from my reading it sounds like there is at least a plan to work on the financial issues, starting with closing LICH, so for me that means within the next 4 years they will probably still have a residency program in my field, which is really all I'm concerned about at this point. an ACGME certified program I can graduate from and get a job...

from my reading it sounds like there is at least a plan to work on the financial issues, starting with closing LICH, so for me that means within the next 4 years they will probably still have a residency program in my field, which is really all I'm concerned about at this point. an ACGME certified program I can graduate from and get a job...

Downstate is not going to go anywhere. They are running huge losses. Thrice as much as LICH. They are going to sell LICH real estate, make 500-600 million $ which will last them 4-5 years based on their current losses. At that point State will go back to bailing them out.