SUNY housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyepoker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are my fellow SUNY classmates and upperclassmen? How did you guys find your housing.
I've tried craigs list, local listing, contacted realtor, but it doesn't seem like there's a chance of finding good apartments without paying 3000 per month. I am looking mostly in Queens and Brooklyn. If I can't find anything before school starts I will have to live in a box on the street now!

Help!:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I won't be joining you at SUNY this fall, but I will be applying soon. I've looked at housing a little bit to get an idea of costs, and I used this site: http://newyorkcity.sublet.com/
Be careful when you are searching, though, because some of them are only sublets for certain periods of times, and some are individual rooms that are part of a house -- depending on if you want roommates or not! Also be sure to check if utilities are included etc. because it varies greatly with each place. I hope that helps, good luck!

I didn't go to housing day, but my roommates got a 3 bedroom apartment in Astoria for 2k/month over the weekend. They had to go through an expensive realtor, but in Astoria I think that's pretty much how the housing market is run. You've still got enough time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are my fellow SUNY classmates and upperclassmen? How did you guys find your housing.
I've tried craigs list, local listing, contacted realtor, but it doesn't seem like there's a chance of finding good apartments without paying 3000 per month. I am looking mostly in Queens and Brooklyn. If I can't find anything before school starts I will have to live in a box on the street now!

Help!:(

I am on the same boat... My roommates and I are looking online at different sites, but I think it'll be difficult to actually find something and make decisions until we get there. It makes it harder too that most students (SUNY or not) are looking for apartments in the summer time..

the problem with NOT living in NYC when looking for apt is that: once you see a good deal, by the time you get there it's gone. Just like that. That's why it's been so frustrating....

But I guess I will just keep on trying...who knows :confused:....I might have to live in the library :rolleyes:

the problem with NOT living in NYC when looking for apt is that: once you see a good deal, by the time you get there it's gone. Just like that. That's why it's been so frustrating....

But I guess I will just keep on trying...who knows :confused:....I might have to live in the library :rolleyes:

Here's the deal with NYC apartment hunting.

You have to go out there with CASH IN HAND. If you find something you like, you MUST TAKE IT ON THE SPOT! You can't screw around "thinking about it" or "calling them back tomorrow" or looking for "a better deal." I tried that way back in 1996 and it failed miserably.

In fact, my roommrates and I lost out on so many apartments, we really thought we were going to be living in Central Park. Finally, we lost out on one and we were standing in the manager's office bitching at him and someone came in and said that they were leaving their apartment. Me and my two future roomates all said simultaneously "WE'LL TAKE IT!" It turned out to be a great experience and we stayed in the apartment for three full years but yea....GO WISH CASH IN HAND and when you find something TAKE IT!

Thanks to my friend, I have found a 1 bedroom in Queens that's affordable, so I don't have to share with others. I am so happy with my decision ! I think NY is so big that everyone can find a niche but it just takes a long time. I will cross my fingers for my classmates who are still in the searching process :)

hahah im totally still looking :p

i wont get to new york until like...mid august. so yea...we'll see how it goessss.
i should be more worried, but... i dont know, whatever hahaha