SUNY interview invitation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a letter from SUNY inviting me for an interview! Yay!!! :D

Does anyone know if they do open- or closed-file interviews?

Any interview advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!!! I am not sure if you mean open/closed as being closed, if when you go to your interview they don't know anything about you and open meaning they have your gpa, LOR's, scores on the spot? Is that what you mean? If so, suny is open-file, thye know EVERYTHING about you when you are interviewing with them. They can ask specific questions about your file too.

Good Luck!

I just finished my 1st week at PCO - and it is soooooo much work!!

congratulations on your interview!! :clap: I know what you mean about the load, Christie. My second week just ended and Pharm. already has me scared $h!&less. :eek: And, I haven't even started practices at night for my competency exam yet!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know what you mean, my last semester as an undergrad is going to be a killer -- just one lab, 13 credits (1/2 of them liberal arts classes), and Fridays off. *Whew*, I get tired just thinking about it! :rolleyes: :D

(Okay, I'll admit it -- I'm jealous, I wish I was there with you guys!)

Thanks Christie -- that's exactly what I meant by "open-file". I'm glad SUNY is open (is PCO?). When I visited Nova they told me how great their closed-file interviews were because the interviewers have no preconceptions about you, but I think open-file interviews would be easier for everyone since there's so much background about you in your application and essay.

PCO ihas a closed file interview - they know anything about you when you are interviewing with them, and its great b/c if you have something in your file that doesn't look good, they can't question you on it. Its much better then an open file, I think.

However, the exit interview is open file at PCO. Thats where they go over your file to see if its complete.

I meant to say they don't know anything about you, sorry about the typo

Congratulations R_Salis. Way to go girl!!!!!
When is your interview going to be??

Just scheduled it -- 10/21! They start interviews on 9/23, holding them on Mondays and Wednesdays. (They had spaces available before 10/21, so you may be able to schedule yours earlier -- that just worked out to be the best time for me to go.)

I just got the letter from SUNY!

I have a question for you r-salis...My letter has a paragraph that doesn't make any sense. Do you know what the content of the following paragraph is supposed to be? This is what mine says:

"We also want to get to know you as an inidividual, so a dmissionsprocedure.lso please bring with you your most recent collge transcript. A student copy is acceptable."

Thanks,
Eyegirl

I didn't bring with me a college transcript to my SUNY interview- I only brought with me a photograph, as requested by them.

My letter had the same garbled paragraph, too -- it looks like their mail merge ate a couple sentences it shouldn't have. :) Have you called to schedule your interview yet? They were wide open when I called this morning. The person I spoke to said she would be sending me a packet this week with more information about what to expect, what to bring, etc. I forgot to ask about the screw-up in the letter when I called -- did you ask about it?

Originally posted by christie
I didn't bring with me a college transcript to my SUNY interview- I only brought with me a photograph, as requested by them.
Weird--did your other schools request pictures, too? I guess that's not too weird, they want to remember who you are later when you're reviewed in committee... The pre-professional committee at my school wanted a picture, too.

Nope, PCO & NEWENCO did not require me to bring a photograph to my interview, only SUNY.

Gotta get back to studying Theoretical Optics!

I don't think most schools require photographs. I know Berkeley did, because I thought it was really odd.