SUNY interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rebecca1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up on Wed. at SUNY. Is there any feedback that anyone can give regarding what the admissions committee is looking for in the students they accept? I'm pretty nervous and any type of feedback would be great!

Also, does anyone have any idea how many students they usually accept or how many students have already been offered an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

i think their class size is 74 or 78? so that would be the amt of ppl they accept....they wouldn't interview you if they didn't have any spots left though, so you always have a chance if you're being interviewed. i applied super late last year and was still accepted, i posted some info in the interview feedback thread about my how it went for me last year, i'm not sure if much has changed but perhaps others can help on that.

good luck with it though.

i think you can just search "suny interview" and some threads will come up. no worries, just be yourself. i asked the school and they say approx. 1/2 of applicants get interviews and 2/3 of those interviewed get in. something like that anyway. :)

Rebecca1234 said:
I have an interview coming up on Wed. at SUNY. Is there any feedback that anyone can give regarding what the admissions committee is looking for in the students they accept? I'm pretty nervous and any type of feedback would be great!

Also, does anyone have any idea how many students they usually accept or how many students have already been offered an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I just had an interview and they told me right away that I got accepted. Actaully all four of us who interviewed all got accepted. They kept on telling us that it was very unusual and we were the first group in a really long time that were all accepted.
The interview process was pretty interesting. First of all, go in about 30-40mins before your interview time because you will have 20 mins to write an essay. My essay was something along this: if you were an elected official and you have to vote on an issue. Would you cast your vote based on your own opinion or would you agree with the majority of your consistuent and change your vote. Yeah..something like that.
Afterwards, Dr. Johnson took me into a room with 3 other Drs. They pretty much asked me why I chose to go to my undergrad University, what I think of NY (I'm not a NY resident), my OAT/Bio weakness, my research experience, my volunteer groups, etc.
Then, one of the Drs that interviewed me took the four of us around the school. The school is all in 1 building so it was very convinent to move around places to places. I really liked the labs and the examination rooms. They have really cool programs like the low vision center.
Afterwards, a second year student took us to the dining center and we talked and ate. (they don't actually have a cafeteria - most student bring their own lunches or buy food from the city).
So yeah, don't worry about it at all.
My stats are (not so great - but hey, if I can get in, so can you!)
GPA: 3.58
Sci GPA: 3.08
OAT: AA: 310, TS: 320 - two of my subjects were below 300.
Hopefully my stats will cheer some of you up bc I know when I was reading this forum, I freaked out bc everyone had 350+ on their OAT.

If you get into SUNY, you get a month to put down a down payment and you can decide not to attend and will get your $ back before April 1st.

I hope my post is useful and I wish all of you the best of luck!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Sorry,
I forgot to add. They take 72 students and usually accepts 105. I don't know how many people are invited to interviews or how many people apply in general. I guess this is different every year. As of today about 1/2 of the seats are taken.

Opt2010 said:
Sorry,
I forgot to add. They take 72 students and usually accepts 105. I don't know how many people are invited to interviews or how many people apply in general. I guess this is different every year. As of today about 1/2 of the seats are taken.

Yes! Your feedback does help a lot. My stats are pretty much the same as yours: AA OAT- 310 TS OAT- 310- one of my subjects was below a 300. I was worried like you because I noticed that SUNY's AA average and TS average was around a 350.

I just have one question; when you got accepted, did you get accepted directly after your interview or sometime during the day (i.e. during or after the tour)? Anyways, thanks again for your help! It made me feel a lot more relaxed about the interview!

Hey,
I was told about 20 mins after my interview that I got accepted. I guess they look for diversity more than just #s. As long as you explain why the subject you scored was below 300...I told them because I only took a year of Bio in high school so I didn't have a good foundation. They understood it :) yeah, just be yourself. Feel confident and you'll be fine.