SUNY interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paris83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether anyone has gotten an interview at SUNY and what questions where asked?

Members don't see this ad.

Do a search for "SUNY interview" and you will find a lot of posts about this. Good luck with your interview! :luck:

paris83 said:
I was wondering whether anyone has gotten an interview at SUNY and what questions where asked?

hey! i was basically asked the common questions like: why optometry, tell us about your optometric experiences, differences between optometry and opthalmology, why SUNY, etc.

then they asked me specifically about things on my apps. like i wrote that one of my interest and hobbies is dancing, so i just talked about that.
dr. johnston is really nice. i think what it comes down to is who you get for your other 2 interviewers and what questions they ask you.

i also heard that some people get asked political questions, current issues in optometry, etc.

hope this helps! goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
here we what I got from the 2 interviewers that fried me:

1. current issues in optometry and my thoughts
2. flaws in my application: why I dropped this and that
3. would I snitch on a cheater
4. hypothetical situation (old lady; would I pass her for eye test so she could get her license)
5. difference between opt, opthal, and optician
6. why optometry
7. when did you decide

They took my answer and twisted it around. Most stressful interview out of my 3. Also my first one. Good luck! Fran is awesome by the way.\

Edit: I mistook SUNY for NOVA. No clue why. O well. My questions can still help. Fran is still awesome btw! Sorry. It is 3 am here. :laugh:

i went to suny last week, sucks b/c students were on break, but anyways. don't know where else you interviewed/are interviewing, but suny was a lot easier and shorter than berkeley and scco for me, only the basic questions: why optom, why suny...only like 15-20 mins. we'll see if i get in though. good luck!

Is anyone going to New York for an interview? I'm going on April 5th...first time in NYC ack

tecknic7 said:
Is anyone going to New York for an interview? I'm going on April 5th...first time in NYC ack

I'll be there April 3. This is my 5th interview and I'm in at the other 4 schools, so it will be low stress.

The interview wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of folks made it out to be. I thought it was fine, but one of the applicants after me came out looking like she had a stroke. I guess it just depends on the person. They were definitely more direct than at PCO or at NECO.
They did mention that it was definitely a bad thing that I applied so late (Feb 10th?), and implied that since they held rolling admissions that all/most of the spots were spoken for and I would probably be wait listed. That would not be good.

AA

paris83 said:

they asked me this question

what aspect of your personality would you like to change.

also i took 12 credits for most semesters at my undergraduate institution ( which is full time ) but, they were concerned why i took such few credits.