Suny interviews for 2015 school year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fifa518

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have an interview coming up in 2 weeks at SUNY. All of the posts I'm reading about feedback/tips are outdated. I wanted to know if anyone who interviewed recently for this cycle would like to share their experience. Did they ask you random facts about politics, news in optometry? And was there an essay? If you don't feel comfortable posting please message me . Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

There was no essay and no politics questions. It was laidback and very conversational. Just prepare and you'll be fine.

Thanks for your help! Do you think this early in the application season I can get denied after the interview ? My OAT scores are a bit low but I still managed an interview so I'm concerned

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently interviewed at SUNY. There were three people interviewing me but it was very conversational. No essay. They ask some pretty standard things, such as "why optometry and not ophthalmology?" and "why do you want to pursue optometry?" My advice is to review your entire application before going in, because they will ask some things directly related to what you wrote in your essays. Make sure to have an explanation for any poor grades. You can also kind of control what you want to talk about, so if you want to incorporate politics or the future of optometry, I don't think that would hurt. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently interviewed at SUNY. There were three people interviewing me but it was very conversational. No essay. They ask some pretty standard things, such as "why optometry and not ophthalmology?" and "why do you want to pursue optometry?" My advice is to review your entire application before going in, because they will ask some things directly related to what you wrote in your essays. Make sure to have an explanation for any poor grades. You can also kind of control what you want to talk about, so if you want to incorporate politics or the future of optometry, I don't think that would hurt. Overall, it was a positive experience.

Thanks for your help!