SUNY schools and out of staters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerbernator

Retired
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are teh chances, for an out stater to get into a SUNY? I really want to go to an NY school.

Members don't see this ad.

Cerbernator said:
What are teh chances, for an out stater to get into a SUNY? I really want to go to an NY school.

Downstate and Upstate do not show preference... go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
NYC rocks! Def apply to MSSM, NYU, P&S, Cornell and AECOM if you've got the cash on the side, Cerb. :horns:

Most of the SUNY schools are also very receptive to out-of-state apps.

TheFlash said:
NYC rocks! Def apply to MSSM, NYU, P&S, Cornell and AECOM if you've got the cash on the side, Cerb. :horns:

Most of the SUNY schools are also very receptive to out-of-state apps.

Not Buffalo though. Stay awwwaaay from Buffalo :)

Curious, where are you guys getting the info that suny's are receptive to out of staters? I've heard that downstate is, but upstate is news to me. Is this within the past year?

From review.com on upstate "From 90 to 95 percent of students are New York residents. About 12 percent of students are underrepresented minorities, and about 15 percent took some significant time off between college and medical school."

I know that a few years ago, Upstate started seriously considering out of staters for the first time. I don't know if that means that in-state preference is totally gone, but I have heard that things are pretty good for well-qualified out-of-staters there.

Buffalo also takes out-of-staters...and Buffalo is a much better city than it gets credit for (although I may be convincing myself of that because I am stuck here for at least 3 more years :D )

JMD said:
Buffalo also takes out-of-staters...and Buffalo is a much better city than it gets credit for (although I may be convincing myself of that because I am stuck here for at least 3 more years :D )

i'm stuck in buffalo for PA school for 3 years. so i hope you're right.

I got into SUNY Upstate as a CA resident.

JimDiGriz said:
I got into SUNY Upstate as a CA resident.

Would you mind providing (either by public post or PM) your stats and such? I'm applying to SUNY Upstate this year, as I did last year, and I'd love to stay in NY since I went to undergrad there.
Thanks.