suny stony brook vs. north shore lij

Started by bekham
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bekham

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi im an img with 97+ scores in both step 1 and step2 .I was wondering which is the better institution for doing pediatric residency(north shore lij vs suny stony brook) and chances of getting into fellowships of higher institutions like yale and hopkins........
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello, I am not familiar with SUNY, but I did my peds clerkship as an MS3 at LIJ/schneider/northshore and thought it was a great place. Schneider is one of the best children's hospitals in the area, but you also rotate through lots of other hospitals in the LIJ system too I think. The faculty was great, conferences were great. The program is huge though and I'm not sure how close all the residents get with each other. There are many IMGs there, I think its a great program that is not very competetive for some reason, maybe because its on long island in suburbia, but its only 30 minutes from manhattan. lots of the residents i met were doing fellowships at prestigious institutions, some may have had trouble matching in more highly competetive specialties like allergy/immuno, but otherwise opportunities looked good.