SUNY Stony Brook vs. SUNY Upstate vs. Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnthonyNY

"Ant, you're 'that guy'."
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
new york resident.

i know these types of posts are really annoying, and yes, i have done searches to find info. i was just hoping to hear from some people that maybe have made these same, or similiar, decisions, and why the chose the way they did?

if anyone has any thoughts, i guess id just really like to read some solid reasons to choose one of these schools over the others. i know drexel is expensive compared to what i'll pay as a state resident, but ive been impressed by the school up to this point (cool curriculum, strong match list, happy students, etc.) and i just find this decision to be kinda tough.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't coin the term Lonelybrook for no reason.

Stony Brook is pretty boring, but I'd live there over anywhere upstate anyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies. i have read before that stony is a pretty boring place..

anybody else care to weigh in?

considering that youre going to be stuck in your notes and books for most of your time, you could be on 6th avenue or in teh desert, wouldn't really matter

I think the isolation at stonybrook tends to be a bit exaggerated. While its definately a difference environment from a major city, there are restaurants, theaters, bars, gyms, etc... Between that and the hours spent studying you should find yourself pretty well occupied.

I chose Stony over upstate because of their greater focus on research and its proximity to nyc. Atleast I can head back home on weekends if I so choose. I chose Stony over Drexel because of the significantly lower tuition and class size. And on a more personal note I would like to get out of the city for a while, it would be a nice change of pace. But thats just a personal preference.

I was faced with a similar dilemma: SB versus Drexel, the solution seemed obvious (SB) but I just absolutely LOVED Drexel so it was so hard to withdraw from it, I almost cried just after I withdrew. I am probably going into Internal Medicine, so won't be able to make millions right away after I start working :D to pay back my debt, and I am an older applicant wanting to buy a house asap, that's why the SB's low cost played its role.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=404085&highlight=stony+brook

Here is another post I found on this forum
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=181756&highlight=stony+brook+versus+drexel

Good luck in your decision!

Upstate has a good program; the students are remarkably friendly, easygoing, and fun. Sure, there are some really competitive people, but I think on average the proportion of people who are pretty cutthroat is lower than some of the other schools.

I got a much better "feeling" from Upstate than SB on interview day, in regards to the friendliness of the students and administration. It's also cheaper to live Upstate than LI; if you're a non-trad looking for a family life, I'd definitely choose Upstate over either of the two mentioned in the OP. Upstate's putting on a peds/neuro/ICU addition, too, which is pretty big. All new clinical skills center at Upstate with 20+ "patient rooms" with equipment/cameras... That was built this year. Not bad.

I want to add something: I attended the pre-orientation last week at SB and liked it much more than on the interview day. They care sooo much about you. When I walked in the adcom people already knew me by name. The administration and the incoming class are cool, friendly, and not snobbish at all.

considering that youre going to be stuck in your notes and books for most of your time, you could be on 6th avenue or in teh desert, wouldn't really matter
are you in medical school? while people say that all the time and there is a small amount of truth in it...I don't think people should underestimate how important loacation is for some people.

I want to add something: I attended the pre-orientation last week at SB and liked it much more than on the interview day. They care sooo much about you. When I walked in the adcom people already knew me by name. The administration and the incoming class are cool, friendly, and not snobbish at all.

I visited SB today and was really, really impressed - also, like Goldenhair, more so today than on interview day. I def agree with you that everyone was really down to earth and friendly. definately feel like more than just a number.. in fact, i mentioned in conversation today a UG classmate of mine who was also accepted this year, and who plans to attend SB, and the assistant dean of admissions knew her by name already..

I've decided to withdraw from Drexel and Upstate. All of these schools have certain aspects that are attractive and unique, and i feel really grateful that each school believed in me enough to offer me a seat as part of their incomming classes. However, I feel pretty strongly that SB is the best choice for me.

thanks for all the input everyone

I visited SB today and was really, really impressed - also, like Goldenhair, more so today than on interview day. I def agree with you that everyone was really down to earth and friendly. definately feel like more than just a number.. in fact, i mentioned in conversation today a UG classmate of mine who was also accepted this year, and who plans to attend SB, and the assistant dean of admissions knew her by name already..

I've decided to withdraw from Drexel and Upstate. All of these schools have certain aspects that are attractive and unique, and i feel really grateful that each school believed in me enough to offer me a seat as part of their incomming classes. However, I feel pretty strongly that SB is the best choice for me.

thanks for all the input everyone

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: