SUNY upstate early assurance program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how hard the competition is to get into the SUNY Early assurance program for SUNY Upstate Medical COllege?

their general criteria is that the college student has taken 75 percent of their pre-reqs having at least a 3.5, at least a 1350 SAT score, (and e.c.s of course),.

The benefits are that you don't have to take the mcats, don't need to apply to med school (which can be a pain in the ass). However, what are the cons of this program? For example, I know that traditional applicants get a lot of review for the basic sciences by studying for the MCATs btu if you're accepted into this program you basically never review this stuff again.

I believe SUNY undergrad schools have better chances of getting into the program than do private schools also.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied and was accepted to the Early Assurance Porgram at Upstate in 2003 and the way I see it, there are very few cons to the program. If you meet the criteria, i definitely recommend applying because you do have a better chance of being accpeted than a traditional applicant just because there are usually less applicants (~200 for 25 spaces annully).

In addition, the program is not binding so if you want to go and take the MCAT after you are accpeted, which is what i did, you can. Then you can apply to other schools while holding your acceptance if you still wanna go there. Overall, its great bc if you get accepted and want to attend, you can cruise through the rest of college and if not you can take the MCAT and apply like every other applicant, i decided not to attend but I reccommend applying no matter what - Go for it!

if you don't mind me asking what were your SAT scores (seeing as it was part of the criteria), gpa, college you went to, ethniciity, volunteering, research, etc