• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

SUNY Upstate Interview Essays

Mets31

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
Can people who have interviewed at Upstate let me know about how long their two essays were. Anyone get any comments about their length from interviewers? Right now I have about a page and a half double spaced for each. Also, are the interviewers solely going off of these essays, or will they have seen your app beforehand, but just not have it in the room with them?

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Can people who have interviewed at Upstate let me know about how long their two essays were. Anyone get any comments about their length from interviewers? Right now I have about a page and a half double spaced for each. Also, are the interviewers solely going off of these essays, or will they have seen your app beforehand, but just not have it in the room with them?

The interview was a blind interview except they had your essays so they went with that. Make sure you put what you wanna discuss in the essays because most of both of the interviews dealt with the essays. Oh I had 5.5 pages for the first one and 1.5 for the second one... My interviewer said he was glad that I wrote a lot for my essays because it gave more insight to my persona... but in reality, I just combined 4 previous secondaries and added an intro and conclusion:smuggrin:

About the Ads

shraf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
  1. Medical Student
mine were 2.5 and 2 pages respectively using 1.5 spacing

the interview is completely closed file...the interviewer hasn't seen your file before the interview and only has the essays to go on

aznb0y129

Oh hamburgers!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Flushing, NY
  1. Medical Student
Mine were 1.5 and 1 page long single-spaced, respectively. My thinking was that you should answer the question adequately but leave a little room so that you will have something extra to talk about in your actual interview. Good luck!

genswim24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
planet hoth
  1. Resident [Any Field]
sorry to bump an old thread, but what were the interview essay prompts?

1) Identify four of your major interests and describe how these have shaped your character and will contribute to your success as a physician.

2) An effective physician is a good problem solver. Describe a problem that you faced and the steps that you took to arrive at its solution.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.