Mets31

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Can people who have interviewed at Upstate let me know about how long their two essays were. Anyone get any comments about their length from interviewers? Right now I have about a page and a half double spaced for each. Also, are the interviewers solely going off of these essays, or will they have seen your app beforehand, but just not have it in the room with them?

M41

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2006
Boston, MA
Status
Pre-Medical
Mine were a little under one single spaced page each, but I don't think the length matters that much as long as you feel you have adequately addressed the question.

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2007
In the Frozen Tundra
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Can people who have interviewed at Upstate let me know about how long their two essays were. Anyone get any comments about their length from interviewers? Right now I have about a page and a half double spaced for each. Also, are the interviewers solely going off of these essays, or will they have seen your app beforehand, but just not have it in the room with them?
The interview was a blind interview except they had your essays so they went with that. Make sure you put what you wanna discuss in the essays because most of both of the interviews dealt with the essays. Oh I had 5.5 pages for the first one and 1.5 for the second one... My interviewer said he was glad that I wrote a lot for my essays because it gave more insight to my persona... but in reality, I just combined 4 previous secondaries and added an intro and conclusion:smuggrin:

About the Ads

shraf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
mine were 2.5 and 2 pages respectively using 1.5 spacing

the interview is completely closed file...the interviewer hasn't seen your file before the interview and only has the essays to go on

mezmerized7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2007
Status
Non-Student
mine was 1.5 and .75 respectively. length should not matter - just ensure that they stand out cuz that's all the interviewers see.

aznb0y129

Oh hamburgers!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Flushing, NY
Status
Medical Student
Mine were 1.5 and 1 page long single-spaced, respectively. My thinking was that you should answer the question adequately but leave a little room so that you will have something extra to talk about in your actual interview. Good luck!

BeardedRunner

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Question 1 - 1.5 pages single spaced
Question 2 - 0.4 page single spaced

These essays are the only sources of information that your interviewers get about you.

AlanAlanine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
sorry to bump an old thread, but what were the interview essay prompts?

genswim24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
planet hoth
Status
Resident [Any Field]
sorry to bump an old thread, but what were the interview essay prompts?
1) Identify four of your major interests and describe how these have shaped your character and will contribute to your success as a physician.

2) An effective physician is a good problem solver. Describe a problem that you faced and the steps that you took to arrive at its solution.

About the Ads