1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

SUNY Upstate Interview Essays

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mets31, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Mets31

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Can people who have interviewed at Upstate let me know about how long their two essays were. Anyone get any comments about their length from interviewers? Right now I have about a page and a half double spaced for each. Also, are the interviewers solely going off of these essays, or will they have seen your app beforehand, but just not have it in the room with them?

2. M41

M41
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Mine were a little under one single spaced page each, but I don't think the length matters that much as long as you feel you have adequately addressed the question.

3. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The interview was a blind interview except they had your essays so they went with that. Make sure you put what you wanna discuss in the essays because most of both of the interviews dealt with the essays. Oh I had 5.5 pages for the first one and 1.5 for the second one... My interviewer said he was glad that I wrote a lot for my essays because it gave more insight to my persona... but in reality, I just combined 4 previous secondaries and added an intro and conclusion:smuggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shraf

shraf Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    mine were 2.5 and 2 pages respectively using 1.5 spacing

the interview is completely closed file...the interviewer hasn't seen your file before the interview and only has the essays to go on

5. mezmerized7

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    mine was 1.5 and .75 respectively. length should not matter - just ensure that they stand out cuz that's all the interviewers see.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. aznb0y129

aznb0y129 Oh hamburgers!
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Mine were 1.5 and 1 page long single-spaced, respectively. My thinking was that you should answer the question adequately but leave a little room so that you will have something extra to talk about in your actual interview. Good luck!

7. BeardedRunner

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Question 1 - 1.5 pages single spaced
    Question 2 - 0.4 page single spaced

These essays are the only sources of information that your interviewers get about you.

8. AlanAlanine

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    sorry to bump an old thread, but what were the interview essay prompts?

9. genswim24

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1) Identify four of your major interests and describe how these have shaped your character and will contribute to your success as a physician.

2) An effective physician is a good problem solver. Describe a problem that you faced and the steps that you took to arrive at its solution.