SUNY Upstate Interview Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mets31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can people who have interviewed at Upstate let me know about how long their two essays were. Anyone get any comments about their length from interviewers? Right now I have about a page and a half double spaced for each. Also, are the interviewers solely going off of these essays, or will they have seen your app beforehand, but just not have it in the room with them?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine were a little under one single spaced page each, but I don't think the length matters that much as long as you feel you have adequately addressed the question.

Can people who have interviewed at Upstate let me know about how long their two essays were. Anyone get any comments about their length from interviewers? Right now I have about a page and a half double spaced for each. Also, are the interviewers solely going off of these essays, or will they have seen your app beforehand, but just not have it in the room with them?

The interview was a blind interview except they had your essays so they went with that. Make sure you put what you wanna discuss in the essays because most of both of the interviews dealt with the essays. Oh I had 5.5 pages for the first one and 1.5 for the second one... My interviewer said he was glad that I wrote a lot for my essays because it gave more insight to my persona... but in reality, I just combined 4 previous secondaries and added an intro and conclusion:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
mine were 2.5 and 2 pages respectively using 1.5 spacing

the interview is completely closed file...the interviewer hasn't seen your file before the interview and only has the essays to go on

mine was 1.5 and .75 respectively. length should not matter - just ensure that they stand out cuz that's all the interviewers see.

Mine were 1.5 and 1 page long single-spaced, respectively. My thinking was that you should answer the question adequately but leave a little room so that you will have something extra to talk about in your actual interview. Good luck!

Question 1 - 1.5 pages single spaced
Question 2 - 0.4 page single spaced

These essays are the only sources of information that your interviewers get about you.

sorry to bump an old thread, but what were the interview essay prompts?

sorry to bump an old thread, but what were the interview essay prompts?

1) Identify four of your major interests and describe how these have shaped your character and will contribute to your success as a physician.

2) An effective physician is a good problem solver. Describe a problem that you faced and the steps that you took to arrive at its solution.