SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurtleDove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you know about this program?

The FREIDA survey is incomplete.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe check the scutwork.com website; I know that they have had some recent facultty departures that have made things interesting...

dc

wht 's up w/ this program? anyone know any DL info? along with NY medical college?

Members don't see this ad :)
ThinkFast007 said:
wht 's up w/ this program? anyone know any DL info? along with NY medical college?

The program is not that great. It'll get u where u need to be, but its not the strongest of programs. Their chairman just left, and that puts things in limbo. They dont have any big names at this point. As far as NY medical college is concerned, there are 2 programs affiliated with this school: St. Vincent's in the village and Westchester medical. St. vincent's is solid, west chester is not. Take a good look at st. vincent's, they are the only 4 year categorical program in NY, and supposedly the intern year is REALLY cush!!

Could you elaborate a little on why SUNY is not that strong? Is there anything in particular that is lacking? Are you a resident there? Just curious. Thanks for your help!! :)

skywalker09 said:
The program is not that great. It'll get u where u need to be, but its not the strongest of programs. Their chairman just left, and that puts things in limbo. They dont have any big names at this point. As far as NY medical college is concerned, there are 2 programs affiliated with this school: St. Vincent's in the village and Westchester medical. St. vincent's is solid, west chester is not. Take a good look at st. vincent's, they are the only 4 year categorical program in NY, and supposedly the intern year is REALLY cush!!

Cornell Med also has a 4 year categorical year. It seems that most of the residents there go that route versus doing a separate prelim year. They are also trying to convert the program so that ALL residents do their 4 years there. I'm not sure when this goes into an effect

Re: Upstate, from what I remember when I interviewed there now 2 years ago they were sending residents to Cincinnatti for peds and I believe it was the Brigham (Boston) for OB. I'm sure that the training was excellent at each site but the distance factor was a turnoff. Not to mention that if you don't do peds and OB in house, are you going to feel comfortable in the real world after a few months of away rotations? I really don't know on this one. As a CA-1 I've only done adults and don't even know where L&D is yet. I seem to remember as well that they did not use any CRNA's. In my book, this was a minus and I've come to appreciate them more than ever this year. You'll see what I mean when it's 5:00 pm, you have 2 inpatient preops to do, and the friendly staff CRNA on the 10-7 shift comes in to relieve you.

Wow, Cinci and Boston are quite a distance as well. I've heard of away rotations at other hospitals in the same city, but Boston is about 4 hours away, and Cinci is even further. Hm. Hope they provide housing. :)

Thanks for the input, by the way, I really appreciate it!

hermione said:
Wow, Cinci and Boston are quite a distance as well. I've heard of away rotations at other hospitals in the same city, but Boston is about 4 hours away, and Cinci is even further. Hm. Hope they provide housing. :)

Thanks for the input, by the way, I really appreciate it!
Ok here is the DL,
Finshed med-school there, say....4 months ago, and did an anesthesiology rotations there also. So 1) Yes they still go to the Brigham for OB, housing and stipends are provided, and most resident rave about the experience, to complement that during your 3 years, they also rotate at Crousse for a continued OB experience.
As for peds, they stopped sending residents to Cincinnati, two years ago. With the creation of the Children’s Hospital, they’ve created an entire section of Peds operating rooms, staffed primarily by a handful of docs that only do pediatric which is a plus.
Yes, the chair left, PM for more info :eek: But the new chair is a needed welcome. As for other players Michael Roizen is still there, he spends about a day a month in the OR, but is very approachable and is an excellent resource.
I found the ICU experience do be solid, nice facilities, excellent didactics…..
As for the OR’s cases often run late, there are always complaints about having to stay…like most places….no CRNA’s (plus---minus I’m staying away from this debate.)
I can’t comment on the overall learning environment currently, under the new chair, but as an Anesthesiologist she was excellent to work with and teaching residents was always her focus.
As a program….1) Syracuse wasn’t for me, after medical school, I had enough, but if your there for three years I think the training will prepare you, and then you can get the hell out of Dodge, also the financial compensation is nice, since the cost of living is so low to begin with.
-facilities: the hospital is in a state of flux, rebuilding, etc but compared to other places it’s not that bad. The med-school is adjacent, great library, and computer facilities.
Diversity of cases:--We’ve already commented on the Pediatric, OB situation, but they do have a pretty diverse case load…you have to remember that Syracuse has an encashment area that reaches to Albany, Rochester, and Binghamton, add to that Interstate 90 and 81 for Trauma :transplant –liver, heart, lung, pain management dept. is excellent (with a fellowship program), hmmm.. I think that’s about it, also they do perform a fair share of pediatric congenital heart repairs, several of the surgeons split there time between Syracuse and Rochester(U of R)
Hmmm.. I think that's it, hope this helps.

FYI,

If it makes any difference, Michael Roizen is now the chairman of Anesthesiology at The Cleveland Clinic. Another big name added to an already powerhouse program.

-B

bignursemd said:
Ok here is the DL,
Finshed med-school there, say....4 months ago, and did an anesthesiology rotations there also. So 1) Yes they still go to the Brigham for OB, housing and stipends are provided, and most resident rave about the experience, to complement that during your 3 years, they also rotate at Crousse for a continued OB experience.
As for peds, they stopped sending residents to Cincinnati, two years ago. With the creation of the Children’s Hospital, they’ve created an entire section of Peds operating rooms, staffed primarily by a handful of docs that only do pediatric which is a plus.
Yes, the chair left, PM for more info :eek: But the new chair is a needed welcome. As for other players Michael Roizen is still there, he spends about a day a month in the OR, but is very approachable and is an excellent resource.
I found the ICU experience do be solid, nice facilities, excellent didactics…..
As for the OR’s cases often run late, there are always complaints about having to stay…like most places….no CRNA’s (plus---minus I’m staying away from this debate.)
I can’t comment on the overall learning environment currently, under the new chair, but as an Anesthesiologist she was excellent to work with and teaching residents was always her focus.
As a program….1) Syracuse wasn’t for me, after medical school, I had enough, but if your there for three years I think the training will prepare you, and then you can get the hell out of Dodge, also the financial compensation is nice, since the cost of living is so low to begin with.
-facilities: the hospital is in a state of flux, rebuilding, etc but compared to other places it’s not that bad. The med-school is adjacent, great library, and computer facilities.
Diversity of cases:--We’ve already commented on the Pediatric, OB situation, but they do have a pretty diverse case load…you have to remember that Syracuse has an encashment area that reaches to Albany, Rochester, and Binghamton, add to that Interstate 90 and 81 for Trauma :transplant –liver, heart, lung, pain management dept. is excellent (with a fellowship program), hmmm.. I think that’s about it, also they do perform a fair share of pediatric congenital heart repairs, several of the surgeons split there time between Syracuse and Rochester(U of R)
Hmmm.. I think that's it, hope this helps.

Awesome post, thanks!!