SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BahamaDude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as reputation how is SUNY Upstate? What is unique about them? how are they about non residents

Members don't see this ad.

As far as reputation how is SUNY Upstate? What is unique about them? how are they about non residents

As far as regional cancer care is concerned, both Upstate and Buffalo are arguably second to none (Buffalo has Rosewell Park Cancer Institute, Upstate is the birthplace of cooperative group extraordinaire CALGB - Cancer and Leukemia Group B, and runs well night 200 cooperative group-sponsored clinical trials). With regards to Upstate, that statistic alone stands out for me more than the others. Ultimately, it's a good idea to check out what these schools have to offer in the context of your own interests (research/academic/professional) -- that'll be the most helpful bit of information you carry.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks,
I am debating whether to send in the $100 secondary to Upstate. I realize that it is late in the app. cycle and my MCAT is a 29 (10,10,9) on my third try. That being said, I have a 3.82ovr, 3.79sci. and avg. ECs. Also, I am an OOS.

Should I send it in, or is it too late, or not worth it considering my stats?
Please offer some help. Thanks.

I got a 24 O and an interview.....and OOS...doesn't hurt...but it is kind of late.....but who knows....pray hard

I got a 24 O and an interview.....and OOS...doesn't hurt...but it is kind of late.....but who knows....pray hard

Thanks for the kind words. The school seems really caring and inviting to its students. Good luck at the interview if you haven't already done it yet.:thumbup:

Re being OOS. Upstate specifically states that they don't favor NY'ers. Buffalo does, to a degree.

Re being OOS. Upstate specifically states that they don't favor NY'ers. Buffalo does, to a degree.

Hi, I was wondering where they actually stated this. I am a NY State resident and have always been under the impression that they do favor in state students, since it is a state school. Also when you look at their stats a large % of the students are instate. I had always just assumed, so I was just currious :)

I think that's just because it's cheaper. Upstate actually favors out of state students less than the other SUNY's. They take a lot of Canadians, and consider them in same group as American's and permanent residents. That is almost unheard of at most schools.

Hi, I was wondering where they actually stated this. I am a NY State resident and have always been under the impression that they do favor in state students, since it is a state school. Also when you look at their stats a large % of the students are instate. I had always just assumed, so I was just currious :)

http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs/nys_apps.php

"Do you give preference to applicants from New York State?

No. The College of Medicine at Upstate Medical University attempts to attract the best students regardless of their origin. New York residents remain heavily represented however, constituting about 80% of the class of 2009, in part because the tuition structure at SUNY Upstate is less for NYS residents than for out of state students. Out of state students may apply for New York State residency after 12 months, making NY State schools a great value even for non-residents."

Thanks for the info. Makes sense :)