Super Low Chem Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowgirlup82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my situation. I currently have a cum. gpa of 3.7 but have a science gpa of 3.9. This happned because I have a BA degree in something else. I have gotten 95% or higher in all of my chem and bio classes and I'm even doing extremely well in Organic this semester. However, I just received my PCAT scores. I feel like I must have gotten the lowest chem score. It's horrible and I'm quite embarrassed.

Verbal- 83
Reading- 92
Quantitative- 75
Bio- 50
Chem- 35
Composite- 70
writing- 4

My scores do NOT reflect my academic achievement whatsoever. I'm very afraid schools aren't going to even look at me now even though I have good grades and ample work experiece. I can't even retake the test, because all of the schools I'm applying listed the last test date as October. I really don't know what happened. I've never had any trouble with school and most things come easily to me. Any advice or thoughts?? I just hope I can still get in somwhere that I applied. I'm hoping that schools will take ALL factors into consideration and at least give me an interview and a chance to explain myself.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation as you. I did a lot worse than you did overall but, my chem score was 35 as well. So, you are not the only one. I, as well applied to schools that want the Oct test. I signed up to take the PCAT again in Jan though just to see. I have to prove to myself I can do better! Look on the bright side, at least you still have a 70% composite. I don't even have that! I have a 3.4 GPA and a 3.5 science GPA and I am taking Org I now and I am doing fine. I just really bombed the PCAT. I am actually thinking of applying to schools that don't require it!
Good Luck :luck:

pharmdwannab said:
I am in the same situation as you. I did a lot worse than you did overall but, my chem score was 35 as well. So, you are not the only one. I, as well applied to schools that want the Oct test. I signed up to take the PCAT again in Jan though just to see. I have to prove to myself I can do better! Look on the bright side, at least you still have a 70% composite. I don't even have that! I have a 3.4 GPA and a 3.5 science GPA and I am taking Org I now and I am doing fine. I just really bombed the PCAT. I am actually thinking of applying to schools that don't require it!
Good Luck :luck:

Thanks for replying! I do feel better knowing at least someone else is in my position. I'm not sure where you're from but I know at least one highly ranked school that doesn't require the PCAT. Purdue University in Indiana is still difficult to get into but they don't even look at the test. Also, I believe the school in Colorado (there's only one, just can't remember which it is) doesn't require it. Good luck with your apps and retaking the pcat.

Yeah, that's the University of Colorado in Denver. They don't require the PCAT, but last year they had 902 applicants for 130 spots. I'm sort of in the same boat as you guys: my composite is ok, but chem and quant scores blow. I think I'll contact the schools I'm applying to and see what they say about retaking the exam. Hopefully some school will be happy to take my money.