Super Non-Traditional Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

padfoot66503

Reaction score
Ok, I just need a bit of a reality check. I am in my early 40s, have 10 years vet tech experience, a PhD in Biology, post-doc experience, and am currently adjunct professor. I am thinking of starting the process of looking into vet schools. My long-term goal would be to have a mobile clinic to service clients in rural areas.

Am I out of my mind?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are unhappy with your current career and you think veterinary medicine will make you much happier, I say go for it. I've seen a few students that are in their 40s or 50s, it's definitely not unheard of to be a second career vet student.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, I just need a bit of a reality check. I am in my early 40s, have 10 years vet tech experience, a PhD in Biology, post-doc experience, and am currently adjunct professor. I am thinking of starting the process of looking into vet schools. My long-term goal would be to have a mobile clinic to service clients in rural areas.

Am I out of my mind?
Nope, I don't think so. There are multiple people in my class who are over 40 and they are enjoying themselves & doing well.

What's your plan to pay for school? That's my only hesitation with entering school later, since it seems like you're well-qualified in terms of experience and education. As someone in my 30s, I'm already feeling some more of the pressure of loans because I'll have fewer years to pay them back, and it's at a time when my husband and I would have liked to do things like buy a house.

If you're planning on working rural areas, maybe look into the government program that pays back loans if you work in underserved areas of the country. (If you haven't investigated it already).

Additionally, be prepared to be bored in a lot of your first year classes, especially if your PhD was focused on anything related to biomedical sciences. (But on the flipside, I'm sure your fellow students would love to have some tutoring help).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My partner has a solid career with a good income, but tuition for me to go back to school is not something we have planned for. I think being realistic with the numbers will be a really important first step. I will look into programs that may be a resource. Thanks.

I am currently teaching pre-med, animal sciences, pre-nursing students. Their excitement is one of the reasons I want to take the plunge. I think I would like to continue teaching in some capacity if this is something I do. I suppose that would have to wait until after courses are done.

Reactions: 1 user
@padfoot66503 one thing to consider- would you need to retake pre-reqs ? That may set you back a couple years and additional costs.

I encourage you to look into the financial situation of vet school and as a veterinarian. It’s a critical piece of the puzzle for older non-trads specifically, even if your partner makes a solid salary.

Reactions: 5 users
My long-term goal would be to have a mobile clinic to service clients in rural areas.

Would you be unhappy if this goal can't ever or doesn't become a reality?

How will you handle seeing a large majority of patients you can help but finances aren't available to help. Because you're selectively picking that demographic of people. Which is fine, but you'll see a lot of those clients, likely every client will be that way when you target that audience. If you can handle the repeated feeling of defeat and helplessness daily, go for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Would you be unhappy if this goal can't ever or doesn't become a reality?

How will you handle seeing a large majority of patients you can help but finances aren't available to help. Because you're selectively picking that demographic of people. Which is fine, but you'll see a lot of those clients, likely every client will be that way when you target that audience. If you can handle the repeated feeling of defeat and helplessness daily, go for it.
Yes! This is a huge consideration. In my 20s, there is no way I could have done it. I was pretty righteous and idealistic. My previous vet work was in fairly affluent cities. I hope to hook up with a rural vet and do some ride alongs to make sure I have been properly knocked down.