Super Seniors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrToothfairy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do dental schools or Adcoms think about Super Seniors? Is it a big drawback?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think it is a drawback. I am a fifth year senior that has already applied to dental school and was accepted. I decided to stay another year but I added another science major so I will be graduating in May with a double major. I applied to all 3 Texas schools and was accepted to all of them during the first round. All the admissions people liked my application since I had successfully completed many science classes as compared to other applicants because I had an extra year of classes under my belt. If you are going to stay, I suggest adding another major and doing well in your classes.

I'm a super senior, with only one major. I started as a nursing major and after two years switched to Biology. At every interview I went to they were actually impressed with my switch, saying it took courage to change after two years. So the only draw back to being a super senior for me was one more year of undergrad tuition and realizing that some of the kids in my class were in 8th grade when I was a senior in high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a super senior because I decided to stick around and do research my final year - so I ended up taking less than 12 units every quarter. It never came up at any of my interviews, and it didn't seem to be a problem at all. You don't have to pick up a second major, just do something meaningful with your time.

For some reason ugrad has turned into a 5 year affair. There are many in my class who have held the title super senior. I believe it's what you accomplish with that extra year that can help you.

Being a super senior is not a drawback if you are planning to do something worthwhile and not because you slacked off.