Super tolerant opiod pts

Started by museabuse
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

museabuse

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the most narcotics u have ever dispensed? I was at a pharmacy and dispensed to regular, oxydose 20mg/ml #840. 6ml 5xday. And fentanyl 100mcg/hr #45 3 q48.
 
Methadone 840 mg daily. Pt was also on Clonazepam 12 mg daily (4 mg tid), Risperidone 8 mg daily.

One of my methadone patients, on 200 mg daily, told me confidentially he'd bought a 75mg fentanyl patch on the street and ate it on a day his back pain was especially bad (he'd become addicted to heroin after suffering a serious industrial accident about 20 years ago). I said, "Joe -- people have died doing that." He nodded thoughtfully before replying, "Yes...it was very good."
 
Oxycontin 80 - 9 bid #540. This guy (cancer pt) was on oxy ir also, but I don't remember what it was. I looked through his profile and he was gradually going higher every qtr or so, starting out on a ton of 40mg's, then moving up to 240 80's, 360 80's, etc. I do remember he dropped it off in the drive-thru, which I found a bit funny. Best part for him - brand oxy, $0 co-pay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MS-Contin 1800 mg every 12 hours. When I called the doctor at the local cancer hospital he informed me the patient was a heroin addict who had pancreatic cancer with bone mets and he had an extremely high tolerance for opiates.....
 
Ran across this post on the Pharmacist's Letter a while back -- still amazes me...

I remember a terminally ill cancer patient in December 1999 who was on a hydromorphone PCA. This patient was using so much that we had to order hydromorphone power and compoud the PCA from it. Here's the amount:

250 mg/hour + 10 mg bolus prn(q 10-60 min? I did not make a note of that)

So if you "convert" to IV morphine that is about ~39,999 mg/day morphine not counting any bolus.
And that "converts" to ~119,997 mg/day oral morphine.

And that "converts" to ~79,998 mg/day oral oxycodone. Not sure how long he was on this.
 
Methadone 280mg qd, Fentanyl patch 800mcg q48h, Morphine 2g/day infusion, hydromorphone 1600mg/day infusion. I also had a lady on Lorazepam 20mg BID. She was always snowed.