Supervised hour after degree? Paying for them??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all again. I have read on various forums that sometimes post grad these hours need to be PAID for?!
http://www.allthingsprivatepractice.com/clinical-supervision-and-money-gouging/
I also have one friend back home in Chicago who said that after her MA in Counseling she paid someone 100/hour for 2 years so she could get her hours needed to sit for the LPC. Is this the norm/common?? Or are these positions right out of graduate school normally paid? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this frequently is the norm. Depending on culture in your state, it's different for each of the licenses. Here, you can get LPC supervision for as cheap as $35 an hour. You won't find MSW supervision for less than $100 an hour. CMHCs will sometimes hire you and then provide supervision in return for a promise of additional years of work post licensure. The only problem is that CMHC's have such abysmal pay. Yet, since I'm looking at paying $5000 a year in supervision costs, I've got to take that into account when looking at future pay.

Also, make sure whatever job you pick post degree (for supervision hours) will actually give you the type of experience you will need. I think if I have to I'll go for the lower paying CMHC job vs a hospital job because of the clinical experience I'll gain. That's just me though. Once I get my license, I should have a wide range of choices.

Also, does your state allow LPC's or LMFT's to bill under a provisional license? That will influence your post degree pay too.

Hello all again. I have read on various forums that sometimes post grad these hours need to be PAID for?!
http://www.allthingsprivatepractice.com/clinical-supervision-and-money-gouging/
I also have one friend back home in Chicago who said that after her MA in Counseling she paid someone 100/hour for 2 years so she could get her hours needed to sit for the LPC. Is this the norm/common?? Or are these positions right out of graduate school normally paid? Help!

I was also concerned about this issue before enrolling in my CMHC program. I am in Ohio, and from what information I have gathered, paying for supervision is not the norm. What is common is very low pay post graduation. In Ohio, after graduating with your master's and getting a passing score on the NCE, you are licensed as an LPC. After 3000 hours of post masters supervision, an LPC can apply to become an independent LPCC (Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor). Where I am at, agencies and private practices usually seek therapists with credentials listed, such as LSW, LPC, LISW, LPCC, PhD, PsyD, so you are able to gain supervision while employed. I have friends who have graduated with their masters in CMHC and not one has had to pay for their supervision. Keep in mind that other states could be different as some states licenses are different than Ohio and you may end up paying to get supervised.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I am in NC but may be moving out of state after I finish (assuming I do get into the program I am applying for!). Does paying for supervision mean ONLY the hours you meet with your supervisor OR every hour that you need to get licsended, all 3,000??? How is this even something one can afford on the salary right out of school? In NC while in school you sit for LCPA which is basically an intern until you get your official LPC after the hours are completed. How hard are those exams anyway?

It's only for the supervised hours. Not for all 3000 :)

I paid for about 80% of my 200 hours of post graduate - pre licensure supervision hours. Depends on the area that you are in. In my area there are very few paid internships or residencies unless you work with children and are a QMHP.