Supervision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-psych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We will be havng one hour of "supervision" each week; what exactly would this entail? Do I need to read/prepare anything for ths?

Members don't see this ad.

We will be havng one hour of "supervision" each week; what exactly would this entail? Do I need to read/prepare anything for ths?

if you have a cool supervisor, it will entail talking about cars and football for an hour per week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start by using your early supervision time to go over potential therapy cases. You cannot do weekly therapy with every outpatient so you need to choose wisely. You don’t want to be full to capacity if that really good case comes along.

Try and use video or audio recordings once you get up the nerve. This is the best way to let your supervisors know what is going on in therapy. Process notes are more time efficient and can help as well. Tell your supervisors what isn’t going well, there is a lot more to be learned from mistakes than from successes.

Not everyone sees themselves as talented therapists, or even aspires to become skilled at this (e.g. Vistaril’s sarcasm). No one ever masters this, but any amount of skill makes you better at psychiatry. It colors your interventions even when doing “med visits”.

If you want a good skill to prepare you for the future? Learn motivational interviewing..... best therapeutic interventional technique I've needed to learn. Can apply it to most situations.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your replies. I apologize for the the typos in my original post; keyboard issues!