supp app = secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microTAS

ulna you didn't
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been receiving simple supplementary application requests prior to my AMCAS verification. Sometimes there are optional essays or they ask you to describe/list your research. Should I be treating these as secondaries and applying the why MD/PhD and describe all of my research experiences in full? Or will another application - the real secondary- be available later to address the MSTP essay? Or are these requests kinda in between and it varies school to school?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools in particular? I was under the impression that in most cases there are two secondaries per school, one MD and one MD/PhD.

washU
baylor

Members don't see this ad :)
Both Wash U and Baylor have two secondary applications, the MD and the MD/PhD. When you complete the MD secondaries, they prompt you to do the MSTP secondaries.

Alright, thanks!

Hi all,

So I have my PS finished and revised numerous times...but my premed advisor suggested that I delve into why I want to combine clinical medicine with research...I thought this was something that was best suited for the MD/PhD secondary rather than described in detail in the PS. Any thoughts?

Thanks

For AMCAS, I addressed why in general I liked medical research and my personal motivations.

For the mstp secondaries, I'm writing up details on my particular interests (mentioning all past research experiences) and why those interests are appealing to me.