supplemental app question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indypharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Purdue has a spot on their supplemental that says," Is there anything else you would like the adcom to know about you?" I spoke with the Director of Admissions about this section. He said he doesn't mind when the section is left blank, but the admissions committee does not like it. So what would you put there keeping in mind that it should be very brief, yet it has to have meaning. I've been brainstorming ideas that relate to my personal situation....
1. I'm a mom and had a baby last fall around thanksgiving while taking Physics, OChem 1, and Econ. I managed to come back for finals and ended the semester with a 3.4. Darnit I want some recognition for this! But I also feel this may be something for the interview as well.

2. I have also thought about explaining how my hobbies reflect the kind of pharmacist I will be, since Purdue is big on extra-cirriculars, yet I can't list gardening on my application.

3. Or possibly how I think my Journalism degree will positively influence the way I will practice pharmacy.

4. Or just a general I'm an "older student" (don't really think 29 is old) so I could describe this experience.

I am not concerned with actually writing the section, but picking an appropriate subject has me stumped. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think adcoms "do not like it" if you leave the section blank.
If you want to fill it, fill it with positive things that enhance your app.
Your #2 and #3 sound good!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, i feel old. i'm 35. I did put stuff in about my age, but 29 isn't that old. if you want to flesh yourself out, go with the gardening or journalism. I think you can work journalism really well to how you will be as a pharmacist. if your GPA is low, go with number one. everyone says nobody expects you to get an A in organic chem, but I still explained what happened that semester for me.

:(I leave mine blank, is that acceptable?

Thanks everyone. I've decided to write a small paragraph on my journalism degree. There are important communications skills that I learned that will be easy to talk about, and are especially important for Pharmacists. While gardening sure is fun, I'll save that for the "what do you like to do for fun?" question in an interview if that comes up.

Di9, if you are applying to Purdue, Pat George's exact words were, "I don't mind if it's blank, but there are some on the committee that don't like it." He also stressed that it shouldn't be a repeat of something already in your application like part of your personal statement, or another list of things you put somewhere else on the application. If you are applying specifically to purdue PM me and I'll share what other hints he gave us during his talk. They were specific to the purdue supplemental.

If you've already done it, then... sure? Why not?

If you haven't, I have a question for you. When the school gives you another spot to sell yourself... why wouldn't you take the opportunity?

If you've already done it, then... sure? Why not?

If you haven't, I have a question for you. When the school gives you another spot to sell yourself... why wouldn't you take the opportunity?
Yea, you are absolutely right, I should have done my homework better and realize the importance of the supplemental app. Hating myself right now, I just hope my personal statement and my scores can still save me.

Yea, you are absolutely right, I should have done my homework better and realize the importance of the supplemental app. Hating myself right now, I just hope my personal statement and my scores can still save me.

Calm down. This will not make or break your application. You will be fine.

Di9, if you are applying to Purdue, Pat George's exact words were, "I don't mind if it's blank, but there are some on the committee that don't like it." He also stressed that it shouldn't be a repeat of something already in your application like part of your personal statement, or another list of things you put somewhere else on the application. If you are applying specifically to purdue PM me and I'll share what other hints he gave us during his talk. They were specific to the purdue supplemental.
Thank you sooo much!!!:) But im not applying for Purdue, Im applying for University of Buffalo and completely overlooked the supplemental app situation.
Best of luck on your application!!!

Thank you so much!!! :thumbup:

You are welcome.

I know what a stressful time it is and how important every little thing seems. In retrospect you may even be able to find the humor in it.

You always give me comfort

Creepy :scared:

What kind of comfort can a freaky, feathery bird give? :eyebrow: