Supplemental Application Essay Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ll REVOFEV ll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering how long the essay/additional information section of supplemental applications should be.

Members don't see this ad.

They didn't say how long? Not even a hint?

Nope. UNLV just said to attach additional information that may be useful in evaluating my credentials. No mention of how long or how many characters. I'm not ever sure what to write for something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see that western has a one page limit and minnesota has a 6000 character limit so those I understand but I was just wondering about UNLV. I'm guessing something along the lines of a page would suffice though.

Oh yes. This came up somewhere on here. A few people didn't put anything. But I think the consensus was that you should put something. It's another small chance for them to see who you are. Who knows? They may never get to your real personal statement, so may as well use the opportunity. I'd suggest going beyond a few sentences, but stay below a page if they didn't say. Short and concise is better and probably appreciated with the thousands they go through.

My general rule when filling out supplementals was to completely answer the question, but be succinct. After writing it, read through it and see if you get bored of reading the answers.

I am one of those people who didn't include anything else. I figured it was more for if you had some kind of extenuating circumstances relating to your life or education that would be good for the ADCOMs to know. I felt like my application had already covered everything I wanted, so I didn't include anything else.

Thanks! I'll try to keep it short, sweet, and to the point for all of them. I don't want to write a ton and a feel that the personal statement covers a lot of things already.

Thanks! I'll try to keep it short, sweet, and to the point for all of them. I don't want to write a ton and a feel that the personal statement covers a lot of things already.

True. If you're going to repeat information or lift info from the school website, it's better to leave it off. But if you can tie yourself specifically to something the school offers, slap it in there.

Nope. UNLV just said to attach additional information that may be useful in evaluating my credentials. No mention of how long or how many characters. I'm not ever sure what to write for something like that.

I didnt put anything for UNLV's supp. Since I believe that I have provided enough information to verify my credentials. IMO I think that section in UNLV is for applicants that may have unusual situations like academic misconduct or low GPAs etc.

Oh crap! I didn't attach anything either for UNLV. I just reread the directions and it doesn't say that it is optional....So I would assume that you should attach something? Now I'm panicking since that was one of my top schools =/

I agree with TXisthereason.

I put everything I need to say on application and there was no extenuating situation that was not repeat of what I said on application so I didn't put anything.

I wouldn't worry about it if you didn't submit anything. It's not a deal breaker by any means and there's no wrong or right answer whether you should include anything or not.

But here's the wording on the application for others who stumble on the thread. They don't say whether it's required or not, but they do say please. So polite.

Please attach an additional sheet to explain any extenuating circumstances or provide the admissions committee with additional information that may be useful in evaluating your credentials.

I wouldn't worry about it if you didn't submit anything. It's not a deal breaker by any means and there's no wrong or right answer whether you should include anything or not.

But here's the wording on the application for others who stumble on the thread. They don't say whether it's required or not, but they do say please. So polite.

what would you add that isnt something new from your aadsas app?

I kept all of mine like 1/2 - 3/4 a page. Nothing too extreme.

what would you add that isnt something new from your aadsas app?

If you ran to get in your secondary an hour after you submitted your AADSAS application, then you won't have much to add as far as stats and numbers go. But if you're still actively doing things this summer...more shadowing, volunteering, mission trips, sim clinics, etc., you can throw it in there.

The AADSAS application is generic - the personal statement specifically. This might be a good time to tie yourself to their program specifically. I wouldn't go crazy and treat it as a 'Why UNLV?' thing and go on and on about why you love UNLV. But certainly there is something that the UNLV program has to offer that makes it a better fit for you and your goals. If UNLV is just a random school in your list, pretend for 30 seconds it's your #1 pick and take a paragraph to let them know why you belong there.

You can skip it altogether. I'm sure many do and it's perfectly acceptable. It's just my opinion that if a dental school gives me a blank space to say something, I'm going to say something. But do so respectfully and succinctly. Someone who matters is going to read what you submit. But if you feel like you've laid out everything there is to say about yourself as an applicant in your application and personal statement, then skip it. If it's pointless to you, it'll probably come off as boring, annoying, and pointless to them too.

Bump

Has anybody come across UNLV's Additional Information Questions? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Do you agree with what the above posters suggest?