1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Supplemental Essays ask Q's Covered in your Personal Statement?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by russellang, Jul 31, 2011.

1. russellang

2+ Year Member

I am writing my missouri supplemental essays and they ask questions that I cover in my personal statement. I do not have anything further to add and would be simply rewording the paragraphs in my vmcas personal statment. Is this acceptable?

Thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. StartingoverVet

StartingoverVet Flight Instructor for hire
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Acceptable? Sure, anything is acceptable.
    In your best interest? Definitely not.
    I would cut the material out of your personal statement and use the space for something else that shows you in a good light.
    At worst, expand on in in your supplemental.

The space you are afforded to make an impression is pretty limited and unless the point is really crucial no sense to duplicate it.

4. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    If I remember correctly...

Mizzou had 4 questions? What makes you unique, why vet med, ethical question (animal use in teaching/research), and I forgot what the other one was.

Obviously you address what makes you special and the why vet med in your PS, but most people feel like there isn't enough room in the PS. SOV is right-- use the space to your advantage! I told a story about getting mauled by a cat in one of mine. It didn't make the cut for my PS, but it was a good story for the message I was trying to send.

Sure I said similar things, but the message is the same regardless of what you're writing about-- I am someone who will make a good veterinarian, so let me into your school. Keep reiterating that in as many ways as you can.

5. russellang

2+ Year Member

Thank you so much for the advice, I will come up with other qualities to add in.

I have a really stupid question. On the questions they say "Note: You are limited to 24 lines of no more than 80 characters each (spaces included)."

I took that as meaning 24 x 80=1920 characters with spaces total. However, I put in one of my essays which was over this amount and it saved it so I am not quite sure what they mean by the length requirement.

Thank you

6. twelvetigers

twelvetigers stabby cat
    Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Pay attention to what you keep and what you don't keep as you go through editing your PS. Anything you consider but decide to omit... remember it as possible fodder for a supplemental.

7. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I think it saves it, but it will be chopped off if you submit it that way.