Supplemental malpractice insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunBakedTrash

Reading the meat and hitting the street
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For employed folks and those getting new jobs, does anyone have or plan to get their own supplemental malpractice insurance on top of employer provided malpractice? For reference, hospital insurance is a claims-made policy with tail coverage provided. I live in a tort reform state in a low risk specialty. The extra safety net and coverage of gaps (if any) would make me feel warm and fuzzy, but I don’t want to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a plan that won’t ever pay out because I have a primary employer provided plan.

If you do have your own, are the limits the same as for private practice (~1 mil/3mil)? Appreciate any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

For employed folks and those getting new jobs, does anyone have or plan to get their own supplemental malpractice insurance on top of employer provided malpractice? For reference, hospital insurance is a claims-made policy with tail coverage provided. I live in a tort reform state in a low risk specialty. The extra safety net and coverage of gaps (if any) would make me feel warm and fuzzy, but I don’t want to spend tens of thousands of dollars for a plan that won’t ever pay out because I have a primary employer provided plan.

If you do have your own, are the limits the same as for private practice (~1 mil/3mil)? Appreciate any responses.

If you are employed by a health system, I would not get additional coverage.

Claims beyond your malpractice are not common.

Lawyers usually go after the hospital/ health system for the large monetary damages because they actually have money to pay out. Physicians typically don't have that type of money.

Reactions: 1 user
If one is Moonlighting additional insurance will be needed.

My psychiatric hospital (employee) provides malpractice and I have a separate policy that covers my private practice and outside independent contractor work.... but the 2 policies don't mix

If internal moonlighting, then med mal will cover... if external then the locums company or hospital should cover.

Much of the moonlighting in some fields is 1099 and if you're not doing locums, you're responsible for your own malpractice.

Much of the moonlighting in some fields is 1099 and if you're not doing locums, you're responsible for your own malpractice.
That’s terrible... with the cost of med mal, how would that be even worth it?
It is a deal breaker for me...every place I have work, even outside of working with a locums company, had offered or given me med mal...that’s just trying to take advantage of you.

That’s terrible... with the cost of med mal, how would that be even worth it?
It is a deal breaker for me...every place I have work, even outside of working with a locums company, had offered or given me med mal...that’s just trying to take advantage of you.

For 1099 work, it's affordable (at least for psych). I'm at a place now that I only moonlight internally, but when I had my own malpractice, I wasn't paying that much. I think several thousand for the year.