Supplemental req's: Test Scores = SAT, GRE, ACT, etc. Competetive score?

Started by CycleCA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CycleCA

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm applying to some postbacs here in a little while, and they all require SAT, GRE, or ACT scores. I'm wondering if I should send them my old SAT scores... or take the GRE. What do you guys think a decent SAT or ACT score is? I got a 1280 on the SAT (combined high score from verbal and math scores on 2 different tests), and a 26 on the ACT. Without combining scores on the SAT, I think I may have a 1240 max on one score. I took it way back in 97'/98', too, if that matters... when I really wasn't a serious student. I have learned tons since then, so maybe I should take the GRE, too? Or are my SAT scores going to suffice?
 
So I'm applying to some postbacs here in a little while, and they all require SAT, GRE, or ACT scores. I'm wondering if I should send them my old SAT scores... or take the GRE. What do you guys think a decent SAT or ACT score is? I got a 1280 on the SAT (combined high score from verbal and math scores on 2 different tests), and a 26 on the ACT. Without combining scores on the SAT, I think I may have a 1240 max on one score. I took it way back in 97'/98', too, if that matters... when I really wasn't a serious student. I have learned tons since then, so maybe I should take the GRE, too? Or are my SAT scores going to suffice?

It depends what programs you're referring to. For a top formal postbac, the scores range, but you'd probably need 3.5+/1300+ to be a competitive applicant. Some postbac programs are nowhere near as competitive, and some are open enrollment or close to it (Cal States etc)
 
It depends what programs you're referring to. For a top formal postbac, the scores range, but you'd probably need 3.5+/1300+ to be a competitive applicant. Some postbac programs are nowhere near as competitive, and some are open enrollment or close to it (Cal States etc)

Hmm, I'm applying to mostly CA schools like Scripps, USC, Mills, and the UCB extension... not going east coast, sorry to say. I will also probably apply to U of Miami, and maybe another school in a state with lots of sunshine. I think they'd let me slide with a 1280 combined, or at least not judge me too harshly, I'd hope. Eeep!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, I'm applying to mostly CA schools like Scripps, USC, Mills, and the UCB extension... not going east coast, sorry to say. I will also probably apply to U of Miami, and maybe wake forrest or something, we'll see. I think they'd let me slide with a 1280 combined, or at least not judge me too harshly, I'd hope. Eeep!

Scripps is one of the three top formal postbac programs and the only one on the west coast. I was pretty involved in the admissions process this past year, and I've personally seen people who have 3.8+/1400+ be rejected or waitlisted. The program accepted around 10% or so of applicants for 2007 admission. Formal postbac applications went up 100% between 2006 and 2007, and will probably increase this year if the applications to medical school and increased percentage of nontraditional students are any indication.

USC and Mills are slightly less competitive but still aren't easy to get into. I don't know much about how competitive the brand new UCB extension program is, and have no information about Wake Forest or U Miami.

You should call the admissions offices at the programs you are interested in applying to, and ask if they feel your application is competitive. Most postbac admissions offices will be quite a bit more forthright with you than medical school admissions offices.
 
Scripps is one of the three top formal postbac programs and the only one on the west coast. I was pretty involved in the admissions process this past year, and I've personally seen people who have 3.8+/1400+ be rejected or waitlisted. The program accepted around 10% or so of applicants for 2007 admission. Formal postbac applications went up 100% between 2006 and 2007, and will probably increase this year if the applications to medical school and increased percentage of nontraditional students are any indication.

USC and Mills are slightly less competitive but still aren't easy to get into. I don't know much about how competitive the brand new UCB extension program is, and have no information about Wake Forest or U Miami.

You should call the admissions offices at the programs you are interested in applying to, and ask if they feel your application is competitive. Most postbac admissions offices will be quite a bit more forthright with you than medical school admissions offices.

Good info, thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what are some programs you'd recommend that are less competitive than scripps or some of the other big names, that are still good?
 
I am at Wake Forest undergrad now and know some people who have done the post bacc program. The program admission requirements include a MCAT score of at least 21 with no section below 7. I would suggest that you may want to take at least the GRE if not also the MCAT. Schools use these scores to evaluate the students and just they do not accept MCAT scores from more then 3 years ago, I feel your SAT scores would be considered to old as well. Good luck!
 
I am at Wake Forest undergrad now and know some people who have done the post bacc program. The program admission requirements include a MCAT score of at least 21 with no section below 7. I would suggest that you may want to take at least the GRE if not also the MCAT. Schools use these scores to evaluate the students and just they do not accept MCAT scores from more then 3 years ago, I feel your SAT scores would be considered to old as well. Good luck!

oops, just looked up wake forest... sorry to say I'm not a URM/econ disadvantaged. I'd heard that it's a nice area, but that's all. Thanks for the reply, though.
 
Good info, thanks for the reply. Just out of curiosity, what are some programs you'd recommend that are less competitive than scripps or some of the other big names, that are still good?

I don't understand what you mean when you say good. Do you want advising/support or just to take classes? You can take classes at any Cal State, they'll probably be easy, cheap, and it'd be fine for getting into medical school. If you want advantages like a committee letter, you're going to have to look at programs that have those. Certainly the top programs are going to be beneficial in that regard. Scripps postbac graduates have had excellent success getting into UCs including 10-15+ to UCSF, and part of that is because the schools know the quality of postbac education there and can tell how strong a recommendation they are getting by the committee from past experience, but also because of the quality of students that enter the program. Committee letters will also make your life easier in the application process, so that's going to be something that may be worth looking at, but ultimately if you just want to take classes, you don't need a postbac program.

If you want advising, MCAT prep, and a committee letter, you might need to look further afield than CA, like the midwest or East Coast. Loyola, Northwestern, Penn, HES, and Columbia are all programs that aren't as competitive as the top 3 but are still very good programs.
 
I don't understand what you mean when you say good. Do you want advising/support or just to take classes? You can take classes at any Cal State, they'll probably be easy, cheap, and it'd be fine for getting into medical school. If you want advantages like a committee letter, you're going to have to look at programs that have those. Certainly the top programs are going to be beneficial in that regard. Scripps postbac graduates have had excellent success getting into UCs including 10-15+ to UCSF, and part of that is because the schools know the quality of postbac education there and can tell how strong a recommendation they are getting by the committee from past experience, but also because of the quality of students that enter the program. Committee letters will also make your life easier in the application process, so that's going to be something that may be worth looking at, but ultimately if you just want to take classes, you don't need a postbac program.

If you want advising, MCAT prep, and a committee letter, you might need to look further afield than CA, like the midwest or East Coast. Loyola, Northwestern, Penn, HES, and Columbia are all programs that aren't as competitive as the top 3 but are still very good programs.


I disagree about the committee letter. Mills is strongly opposed to committee letter concept, because you get much stronger references when you can pick individual professor who know you well to write your letters. The department has a cover letter to go with the letter packets that are sent from the letter service to medical schools that explains their stance on committee letter.

I think Mills gives more weight to GPA than GRE/SAT score, but I could be wrong. I had a high GPA, but only an 1130 SAT and I got in to the program (I also did my UG at Mills, so that may have had some influence). I know the pre-med head has mentioned that he won't risk taking students with a low GPA. His theory is that by rejecting you now, he's doing you a service and saving you from spending $60,000 only to find out you can't get into medical school.
 
I disagree about the committee letter. Mills is strongly opposed to committee letter concept, because you get much stronger references when you can pick individual professor who know you well to write your letters. The department has a cover letter to go with the letter packets that are sent from the letter service to medical schools that explains their stance on committee letter.

At Scripps you pick individual professors to write three letters, and can provide additional faculty, research, and outside letters, and give them to the premedical committee, who will write you a composite letter based on the committee chair's familiarity with you (which will be high, everyone there knows everyone very well), an autobiographical sketch that you provide, your AMCAS personal statement, CV, and other information you provide.
This composite committee letter is included along with the individual letters from professors and your research and outside letters in your VE packet and sent to all of the schools you apply to at no cost.

I think Mills gives more weight to GPA than GRE/SAT score, but I could be wrong. I had a high GPA, but only an 1130 SAT and I got in to the program (I also did my UG at Mills, so that may have had some influence). I know the pre-med head has mentioned that he won't risk taking students with a low GPA. His theory is that by rejecting you now, he's doing you a service and saving you from spending $60,000 only to find out you can't get into medical school.

Scripps looks at both. I had a lower GPA (~3.35 or so) than the typical matriculant in the program but 1600 SAT, 780 GMAT, 36 ACT. I imagine they felt I was a good test taker and would do well on the MCAT, which I did.