Surf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone thanks in advance.

My question is quite simple. SURF deadlines are coming up in a few months, and I really want to do s SURF research fellowship this summer. Next summer is not possible for me as I will be studying hard on my MCATs and want to dedicate time into that.

Can I email a professor for the first time asking to do a SURF project under his mentorship? It would be my first time emailing him and everything. I have previously done research, but it has never been in this formality. It's been lighter.

So basically, would it look bad for me to do that? I wish I could spend some time volunteering in his lab first, but that's really not an option since it's January right now and the SURF deadlines are in March for my university. I would have only like a month to "volunteer" lol.

Thanks!
 
Quick update: I emailed a ton of professors, got many replies, and I will be starting research with a professor this summer, though I am unsure of doing SURF, due to the limits it brings.