Surg Path book for dermatologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balderdash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick request for input. I am starting my dermatopathology fellowship with a background in derm. I am obviously wholly deficient in surg path. Does anyone have any recommendations for good books? I was told that the "quick handbook for surgical pathologists" (Amazon product) was a good option. Does anyone have any experience with this book or have any other recommendations for a surg path doofus such as myself? Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

That book is more appropriate for senior pathology residents/fellows and handy for attendings. Not very readable as it's chart/graph heavy with a lot of lists as well. It contains topics such as lymphocyte immunophenotyping during their maturation in the lymph nodes, chromosomal translocations, tyrosine kinase receptor activity for solid tumors, and other non-relevant topics for a dermatologists (dermpath trainee or not). Don't get me wrong, it's a very good book; but, not what I would suggest based on your level of experience and what you said you were looking for. I would recommend this by far:

The Practice of Surgical Pathology

It gives a much more basic introduction into our field with an emphasis on the visual rather than technical/scientific aspects in an easy-to-read format with a lot of pics. More at the level of first or second year pathology residents. Can be read in two-four weeks.

Last edited:
Agreed with last post. That intro book will likely help with cutaneous mets, along with a nice review article by Prieto 2010 (IHC in DDX of primary cutaneous adnexal neoplasms..), which should land you in the right ball park. It's too complicated to learn broadly + derm, unless all your doing is dermpath. Tumor classifications and IHC change regularly, and the morphologic overlap can be considerable. Clinical history will be key, as will consulting your path colleagues. We'll be sure to do the same!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, in the real world, I will be heavily leaning on path colleagues. I'm speaking merely to pass the surg path portion of our boards. Really appreciate the responses. The Practice of Surgical Pathology was actually recommended by a path resident to me after I posted this thread so I will probably go that route.

I'll agree with the prior recommendation. That book is by far the best introductory type book I know of.

Oh yeah, in the real world, I will be heavily leaning on path colleagues. I'm speaking merely to pass the surg path portion of our boards. Really appreciate the responses. The Practice of Surgical Pathology was actually recommended by a path resident to me after I posted this thread so I will probably go that route.
There is pretty close to ZERO surg. path on the Dermpath boards....unless they have overhauled the exam in the past 1 year. In fact, many of the Surg. Path rotations are not at all helpful for your future Dermpath practice. Your better bet is to review your department's Dermpath slide collection with an emphasis on soft tissue tumors involving the skin, adnexal lesions, weird melanocytic lesions and cutaneous lymphomas.