• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

kenyandoctor28

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Mar 18, 2016
I'm an M3, and have read through about 90% of this new book by de Virgilio.

The book is generally quite amazing, and tells you everything you need to know in organized tables and management algorithms. The criteria and guidelines that are mentioned with each case are frequently tested during clinical rounds. This book is best used in conjunction with lecture notes at your home institution (even though it covers most of what is commonly seen in surgery, it does not cover some, such as brain tumors etc.).

Some errors bugged me. I have listed some of the major ones that bugged me most so that other readers don't get too confused like I did. There are other minor spelling errors and sentences that leave out a crucial "NOT", which end up saying the opposite thing than what is the true recommendation.

Overall I would definitely recommend this book. 4.5/5 stars. Would be 5/5 if they corrected some errors and added some sections and comprehensively covered the very common conditions. Completely glad I got this book though. No ragrets.

This list is not complete (only major errors):

pg59 the opening snap of the mitral stenosis occurs EARLIER in diastole as stenosis worsens, not later.

pg259 NEXUS criteria: if any of the NSAID categories are present DO Cspine X-ray. IE if any ONE factor is present, do CSPINE x-ray. These are disqualifying criteria > FOR CLEARING THE C spine WITHOUT AN 3 view cervical XRAY.

pg271: vasogenic edema can be treated by corticosteroids whereas cytotoxic edema cannot. Trauma results in CYTOGENIC edema and thus cannot be treated by steroids, whereas inflammation from cancer results in increased capillary permeability (vasogenic edema) thus can be treated by corticosteroids.

pg 378, Table 37.1 missing (LRINEC)

pg 399, BUN/Cr ratio should be LESS than 20:1 in post renal AKI not greater than 20:1 (which would be the case i pre renal AKI).

P.S. I don't claim to be an expert. Just a med student. Correct me if I'm wrong about stuff. TY.

kenyandoctor28

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Mar 18, 2016

The book is generally quite amazing, and tells you everything you need to know in organized tables and management algorithms. The criteria and guidelines that are mentioned with each case are frequently tested during clinical rounds. This book is best used in conjunction with lecture notes at your home institution (even though it covers most of what is commonly seen in surgery, it does not cover some, such as brain tumors etc.).

Some errors bugged me. I have listed some of the major ones that bugged me most so that other readers don't get too confused like I did. There are other minor spelling errors and sentences that leave out a crucial "NOT", which end up saying the opposite thing than what is the true recommendation.

Overall I would definitely recommend this book. 4.5/5 stars. Would be 5/5 if they corrected some errors and added some sections and comprehensively covered the very common conditions. Completely glad I got this book though. No ragrets.

pg59 the opening snap of the mitral stenosis occurs EARLIER in diastole as stenosis worsens, not later.

pg259 NEXUS criteria: if any of the NSAID categories are present DO Cspine X-ray. IE if any ONE factor is present, do CSPINE x-ray. These are disqualifying criteria > FOR CLEARING THE C spine WITHOUT AN 3 view cervical XRAY.

pg271: vasogenic edema can be treated by corticosteroids whereas cytotoxic edema cannot. Trauma results in CYTOGENIC edema and thus cannot be treated by steroids, whereas inflammation from cancer results in increased capillary permeability (vasogenic edema) thus can be treated by corticosteroids.

pg 399, BUN/Cr ratio should be LESS than 20:1 in post renal AKI not greater than 20:1 (which would be the case i pre renal AKI).

P.S. I don't claim to be an expert. Just a med student. Correct me if I'm wrong about stuff. TY.

Also, I didn't want to give the impression that there are a lot of errors. They are actually quite rare.

HooliganSnail

7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Attending Physician

Who cares

About the Ads