surgery and video game

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by MDpride, May 27, 2008.

1. MDpride

Medical Student
    Video game can improve eye-hand coordination skills.

Considering that I would like to beccome a surgeon and technological advances that have taken place, is it worth investing in video game?
    i start medschool in fall'08.

If so, which video game system and video game will help improve my eye-hand coordination skills ?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SugPlum

Medical Student
    I don't know about improving hand-eye coordination, but Wii looks pretty good because you can get the "game" called Fit for working out at home.

4. Keg

Keg

Fellow [Any Field]
    Call Ethicon and tell them you're a medical student and ask for a knot tying board. Info at http://www.omfsource.com/node/22 . That'll be more useful.

5. PeepshowJohnny

Medical Student
    There's a saying surgeons like to state around her: "I can teach a monkey how to operate. I can't teach him how to think."

Even though surgeons definitely use their hands more than people from a more medicine based track, they still use their heads a great deal. And the thing that's going to net you a competitive ENT or Plastics surgery slot is not how nicely you can tie a suture but how you do on your national examinations and clinical rotations. So the best way to prepare to be a surgeon is learn what they ask you in medical school, both preclinical and clinical. You never know when your knowledge of embryology or anatomy may impress an attending that nets you a letter. Mastery of how to manage patients pre and post op are going to get you honors on rotations.

That said, I think videogames do help with hand eye coordination in some respects. As lifelong gamer, I think my visual and spatial skills are better than the average student. In situations where I've been given a swing at using the laproscopic instruments, I've done pretty well (which is what they often use in those 'videogames help surgical skills" studies). However, my other skills like suturing/knot tying which aren't helped by videogames are average, at best.

If you like videogames and they're a good time waster, yeah pick up a Wii or a 360 and have some fun. If you're only doing it to get ahead, no. It'll just be another thing to add to your "To Do" list which grows exponetially larger in medical school and you'd be better served either doing things that will help you academically (study, research) or doing things you actually enjoy.

6. IcedTea

IcedTea Nuthin But A G Thang Baby

Other Health Professions Student
    The Wii will probably improve your hand eye coordination skills the best because it's more interactive than the PS3 and X360. I don't think there's a certain videogame than can improve your hand eye coordination more than others, I think any Wii game will do.

Videogames FTW ma man

7. Chris418

Chris418 Junior Member

Medical Student
    Play first person shooters on a PC, like half-life 2 or counter-strike or any game like that. That would help. I have a Wii and PS3, the Wii is definitely better as far as hand eye coordination. I don't like XBox's but I'd assume its going to be the same as a PS3 just less interactive because they don't have the tilt feature.

8. SomeDoc

Attending Physician
    Your best and most important investment right now is coursework. You will pick up the manual dexterity training once you're in the surgical field tranining program of your choice. The important thing now is to get in. Play them if they help as a hobby.

9. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Moving to the Technology Forum where the gurus can add their suggestions.

10. barcalounger

Resident [Any Field]
    Why not look up the research and see what has specifically been said about video games and surgical performance? It's a skill you will need to develop as a medical student, starting in the fall.

Another article used different games.