Technology surgery and video game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDpride

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Video game can improve eye-hand coordination skills.

Considering that I would like to beccome a surgeon and technological advances that have taken place, is it worth investing in video game?
i start medschool in fall'08.

If so, which video game system and video game will help improve my eye-hand coordination skills ?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about improving hand-eye coordination, but Wii looks pretty good because you can get the "game" called Fit for working out at home.

Considering that I would like to beccome a surgeon and technological advances that have taken place, is it worth investing in video game?

If so, which video game system and video game will help improve my eye-hand coordination skills ?

Call Ethicon and tell them you're a medical student and ask for a knot tying board. Info at http://www.omfsource.com/node/22 . That'll be more useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a saying surgeons like to state around her: "I can teach a monkey how to operate. I can't teach him how to think."

Even though surgeons definitely use their hands more than people from a more medicine based track, they still use their heads a great deal. And the thing that's going to net you a competitive ENT or Plastics surgery slot is not how nicely you can tie a suture but how you do on your national examinations and clinical rotations. So the best way to prepare to be a surgeon is learn what they ask you in medical school, both preclinical and clinical. You never know when your knowledge of embryology or anatomy may impress an attending that nets you a letter. Mastery of how to manage patients pre and post op are going to get you honors on rotations.

That said, I think videogames do help with hand eye coordination in some respects. As lifelong gamer, I think my visual and spatial skills are better than the average student. In situations where I've been given a swing at using the laproscopic instruments, I've done pretty well (which is what they often use in those 'videogames help surgical skills" studies). However, my other skills like suturing/knot tying which aren't helped by videogames are average, at best.

If you like videogames and they're a good time waster, yeah pick up a Wii or a 360 and have some fun. If you're only doing it to get ahead, no. It'll just be another thing to add to your "To Do" list which grows exponetially larger in medical school and you'd be better served either doing things that will help you academically (study, research) or doing things you actually enjoy.

The Wii will probably improve your hand eye coordination skills the best because it's more interactive than the PS3 and X360. I don't think there's a certain videogame than can improve your hand eye coordination more than others, I think any Wii game will do.

Videogames FTW ma man

Play first person shooters on a PC, like half-life 2 or counter-strike or any game like that. That would help. I have a Wii and PS3, the Wii is definitely better as far as hand eye coordination. I don't like XBox's but I'd assume its going to be the same as a PS3 just less interactive because they don't have the tilt feature.

Your best and most important investment right now is coursework. You will pick up the manual dexterity training once you're in the surgical field tranining program of your choice. The important thing now is to get in. Play them if they help as a hobby.

Moving to the Technology Forum where the gurus can add their suggestions.

Why not look up the research and see what has specifically been said about video games and surgical performance? It's a skill you will need to develop as a medical student, starting in the fall.

Element 2 was Top Gun itself, which was conducted over 1
frac12.gif
days. The Top Gun basic skills and intracorporeal suturing courses involve preparatory laparoscopic drills and interrupted suturing on porcine bowel. The preparatory drills emphasize nondominant hand dexterity, 2-handed choreography, 2-dimensional depth perception compensation, and targeting. The first drill is the Cobra Rope Drill, requiring participants to unwind and pass a string using 2 standardized laparoscopic graspers, targeting specific colored sections of the string. The second drill is the Terrible Triangle Drill, which involves lifting and moving 5 triangular objects from one designated point to another by placing a needle through a metal loop atop each triangle, using an instrument with the nondominant hand. The third drill is the Cup Drop Drill, during which participants move beans from a designated area into a cup with a 1-cm aperture using a standard laparoscopic grasper in the nondominant hand. Last, interrupted sutures are placed into porcine intestine. This complex task is executed using a standardized technique algorithm. The time to complete each task is recorded, and an electronic proctor registers and tabulates errors committed by inaccurate instrument movements. These variables serve as a measure of performance. The course has been previously described in detail.

Element 3 consisted of playing 3 over-the-counter video games. Subjects were taken in groups of 3 for 25 minutes of video game play. All participants completed all 3 elements. Of the 33 subjects, 8 completed the video game tasks after having participated in Top Gun between 12 and 24 months previously. These 8 participants were not selected and were not members of the original study group. All other participants completed all elements at the same time. Participants were given a standard set of instructions and a brief demonstration and then asked to begin play.
Three representative games were selected from 100 of the most popular video games. Each game was chosen based on its applicability to the development of specific skills required for completion of Top Gun. The skills tested by these games included fine motor control, visual attention processing, spatial distribution, reaction time, eye-hand coordination, targeting, nondominant hand emphasis, and 2-dimensional depth perception compensation. Games were also selected based on their ease of measurement and lack of bonus scores, which could skew data away from the mean, thus creating a nonrepresentative bimodal distribution of scores. Therefore, 2 games were scored purely as total time to complete, while the third measured total targets hit. Sex neutrality and game novelty were also selection criteria. None of the subjects had ever played any of the 3 video games used for this study.

The first video game was Super Monkey Ball 2 (Sega of America Inc, San Francisco, Calif) for Nintendo Gamecube (Nintendo Co Ltd, Tokyo, Japan). The player pilots a spherical ball around a dynamic undulating course while targeting specific items. Performance was scored by total time to complete the course. If the course was not completed in 300 seconds, a value of 300 seconds was assigned.

The second video game was Star Wars Racer Revenge (LucasArts Entertainment Company, San Rafael, Calif) for Sony PlayStation 2 (Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc, Tokyo), in which players navigated a serpentine canyon track, competing against 5 other computer-controlled racers. The score was total time to complete a single lap. All games were viewed on either a 51-cm television monitor or a 46-cm flat screen monitor (Trinitron; Sony Corporation, Tokyo), such as those used in laparoscopic surgery.

The third video game selected was Silent Scope (Konami Co, Tokyo) for Microsoft Xbox (Microsoft Corp, Redmond, Wash), which required the player to shoot as many screen targets as possible in 2 minutes 30 seconds. The score was the total number of targets hit.

Another article used different games.

each student played three commercially available video games (Top Spin, XSN Sports; Project Gotham Racing 2, Bizarre Creations; and Amped 2, XSN Sports) for 30 minutes on an X-box (Microsoft, Seattle, WA) and was judged both objectively and subjectively. Next, the students performed four laparoscopic tasks (object transfer, tracing a figure-of-eight, suture placement, and knot-tying) in a swine model and were assessed for time to complete the task, number of errors committed, and hand-eye coordination. The students were then randomized to control (group A) or "training" (i.e., video game practicing; group B) arms. Two weeks later, all students repeated the laparoscopic skills laboratory and were reassessed. RESULTS: Spearman correlation coefficients demonstrated a significant relation between many of the parameters, particularly time to complete each task and hand-eye coordination at the different games. There was a weaker association between video game performance and both laparoscopic errors committed and hand-eye coordination. Group B subjects did not improve significantly over those in group A in any measure (P >0.05 for all). CONCLUSION: Video game aptitude appears to predict the level of laparoscopic skill in the novice surgeon. In this study, practicing video games did not improve one's laparoscopic skill significantly, but a larger study with more practice time could prove games to be helpful.