Surgery Book Chapter Authorship - on Residency Application ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Focused1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got offered to write a book chapter for a surgery textbook by a very senior surgeon.
How helpful will it be to my residency application ?

Inputs will be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

If you did it, put it on your CV. It's a publication, presumably in your field. If it's just an offer, or you haven't accepted and started, than no.
If I put all my journal editor offers on my CV from all those marginal or online journals, people would think I'm a superstar! But whose got time for that nonsense.

If you did it, put it on your CV. It's a publication, presumably in your field. If it's just an offer, or you haven't accepted and started, than no.
If I put all my journal editor offers on my CV from all those marginal or online journals, people would think I'm a superstar! But whose got time for that nonsense.

It is not really a journal editorial offer. And yes I do agree I get tons of spam too asking me to submit a paper or become an editor on an unknown journal.
Just to provide more details - It will be published via the WHO Press.. so it is in no ways marginal.
The only thing i wanted to know is - How does a book chapter compare with respect to a peer reviewed article ?
How do program directors look upon such an entry in someone's application ? I ask because it will probably take a lot of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing i wanted to know is - How does a book chapter compare with respect to a peer reviewed article ?
How do program directors look upon such an entry in someone's application ? I ask because it will probably take a lot of time.

Peer reviewed journal articles are generally valued more highly than book chapters from an academic/career development standpoint. Book chapters in major or landmark publications can be beneficial in other ways if they allow you to network, gain exposure, etc., but this is atypical.

Peer reviewed journal articles are generally valued more highly than book chapters from an academic/career development standpoint. Book chapters in major or landmark publications can be beneficial in other ways if they allow you to network, gain exposure, etc., but this is atypical.

Right, Thanks for the input.
So a far as this offer is concerned.. I guess I should use this to make contacts with powerful people who may be helpful down the line when I apply to a residency...

From a residency standpoint, in my experience talking to PDs and interviewing candidates myself, research from an applicant is more a sign of your ability to become passionate about something and see it to completion than it is about impact factor and long term career benefit. To that end, a major undertaking like a 100+ reference book chapter is showing that you know how to complete.

Will original academic research help your career more? Absolutely. But you're really helping out that senior surgeon while hopefully writing about a field you're about to apply into. That knowledge, experience, and story will help

I got offered to write a book chapter for a surgery textbook by a very senior surgeon.
How helpful will it be to my residency application ?

Inputs will be appreciated
how does one get the opportunity to co-author a book chapter?