Surgery clerkship grade

Started by ilMaestro
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ilMaestro

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a 3rd year DO student intending to apply to ACGME gen surg, I have an issue: I received a Pass on my surgery clerkship. The rest of my clerkship grades are Honors and High Pass. My question is, can I make up for this with Honors grades on my surgery sub-i's/electives? I'm pretty much just trying to figure out if this is a rectifiable situation. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.
 
I'm in a similar boat and here's what I recently did. I met with our program director and gave him my cv, step 1 score, evaluations from the clerkship and we talked it over. He told me that, believe it or not, he wasn't phased by it because the other aspects of my application are strong. If that's the case for you, great. if not, then they'll be able to tell you how to strengthen your application and overcome that. But by no means is it a dealbreaker. Use them as a resource. If they're doing their job right they'll be in your side and help you bounce back.
 
Thanks man. You're totally right; I've been talking to everyone, but the PD. I will get on that.
Thank you again, for the great reply.