Surgery competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DadiyaMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is surgery now? I know that a couple of years ago many surgical slots were unfilled and programs were unable to attract medical students. Has this changed now? My board score (94/232). Also, I understand that the reimbursement for surgical procedures are declining and malpractice is climbing. Does anyone have any insight into this? It is just something that needs to be considered with huge med school loans.

Members don't see this ad.

More competitive than it was (only 9 unfilled spots last year.)

232 will be more than OK.

$$ is not what it was, but it still exceeds primary care. Of all the stresses in surgery, lack of income to pay off loans is not one of them.

More spots filled but according to my former Chairman, less competitive because fewer high quality applicants want the general surgery lifestyle.

Your score is more than sufficient. Mine was much lower and I matched fine 5 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now this response from your Chairman makes sense...there are more applicants but *some* say the competitiveness is less. maybe...not sure what the average Step 1 score is, but 232 would be more than adequate now or 20 years ago.

The word here is, for the ~1030 (can't remember the exact number) of categorical spots available in 2004, there are >4,000 applicants. The number of US MD grads is slightly above the number of spots available, there are ~140 DO applicants and ~2400 plus FMG/IMG applicants.

If PD's make rank lists long enough, they should not have trouble filling. Same thing to applicants; as long as you rank several programs of various competitiveness (don't know if that is a word), even with less than stellar scores you should match.

Of my class last year, 21 went into gen surg. Of those 21, one individual who had actually failed step 1 the first time matched. 5 (who had adequate step 1 scores) did not match. Why? rank order list length! Those that didn't match ranked 5 or fewer programs.

Meet with the PD for your schools program, and bring your numbers. Then s/he can help you determine how many places to apply/interview/rank. S/he can also guide you regarding the quaility of the programs you apply to. This advice can go a long way to avoiding the dreaded scramble.

Generally, I've heard that step 1 >200 is adequate.