Surgery Conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eiresurg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone recommend some good internet resources for finding upcoming surgical conferences? i need to pick a conference for Spring 2006 and am having a damned-of-a-time finding some options!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I'm not aware of any good internet resources, but here is the quick rundown of general surgery national meetings that I pay attention to. Most regional meetings (Pacific Coast, Southeastern, Southwestern, Central, Midwest, and New England) also meet in the spring. Sorry, I don't feel like checking them up right now, but google should find them for you.
I defined Spring as Feb-May; If you want other dates, ask.
Date Society (location)

Feb 7-10 Association for academic surgery + Society of university Surgeons joint meeting (San Diego)
Mar 9-12 American Hepatopancreatobiliary Association (Miami)
Mar 23-26 Society of Surgical Oncology (San Diego)
Apr 5-9 american Society of Breast Surgeons (Baltimore)
Apr 23-26 American College of Surgeons Spring Meeting (Dallas)
Apr 26-29 Socity of American GI Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) (Dallas)
Apr 29-May3 American Association for Thoracic Surgery (Philadelphia)
May 7-9 American Association of Endocrine Surgeons (NYC)
May 20-25 Digestive Diseases Week (Los Angeles)

Unfortunately, there are no good resources to find CME conferences. Or, at least none that I've found after much looking. I usually find them through word of mouth, mailings, or the backs of a few journals. Here are a few that I've previoulsy attended and know are good.

The Minimally Invasive Surgical Symposium is a nice ski-conference. It's being held at Vail this year in February. Very good conference with plenty of time to hit the slopes.

The annual truama conference is held in Las Vegas during March. Great conference...if you can pull yourself off the Hold'em tables to attend...lol.

The American Society of Breast Surgeons is a pretty good meeting. I think it's in Baltimore this year.

"Surgical Spring Week" consists of SAGES, ACS, and this year IPEG (International Pediatric Endosurgery Group). The three conferences run serially during the week with a little overlap. There should be more than enough info presented there to put anyone's mind into overload. It's scheduled for Dallas this year in April. I am planning on attending this one.