Surgery electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rortega82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i´m a medical student from Spain and i´m planning to do a general surgery elective (i hope a sub-I) in the U.S in July. I think in Harvard, Pittsburgh or Mayo Clinic. And i would thank any information about the university, the hospitals, the diferent electives, my possibilities, another places that accept international visiting students... anything. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the information, but i´ve already seen the web sites. I would like to know the experiences from students of that universities. Which elective did you do? How it was? Have you ever seen an international student doing a surgical elective? How they were treated?... anything you could think useful for my situation. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an away rotation at the Brigham and Women's Hospital (Harvard) in Boston, and loved it. (It was a 4-week General Surgery/Trauma rotation during the month of October.) The other visiting students were all from the US, with the exception of one student from Mexico; as far as I can tell, everyone enjoyed themselves.

Blade28 said:
I did an away rotation at the Brigham and Women's Hospital (Harvard) in Boston, and loved it. (It was a 4-week General Surgery/Trauma rotation during the month of October.) The other visiting students were all from the US, with the exception of one student from Mexico; as far as I can tell, everyone enjoyed themselves.

Thanks for the information. That´s one i have in my list. Could you tell me something more? How it was? What did you do? (or better what they let you do) How the staff and residents were? Was it difficult?... I don´t know, anything you think could be interesting... Thanks.