Surgery First - Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrickHouseMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Through the luck of the draw, I got stuck with surgery as my first 3rd-year rotation starting in July. How the heck do I survive when I barely know how to do a competent H & P. What should I bone up on? Let's hear all those tips that somebody with a freshly printed employee badge need to know.

Members don't see this ad.

make sure your residents/attending know that it is your first rotation... you'll have significantly lower expectations that way.

Some friends of mine planned it that way, because they knew they weren't going into surgery anyway. However, as someone who works with medical students in the surgery dept. sometimes, i concur with the above. Just let them know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which hospital? I start with surgery too. I don't want to do surgery though so it works out. I think they will likely know we are new to it as it is July and we are M3s.

Probably a good rotation to start learning how to do H&Ps, because no matter what you write it will be more detailed than the residents and attendings.

But seriously, just learn how to tie a knot and you will do fine.

Which hospital?

St John's. Better than getting pimped downtown but there's just a lot of unknowns about how it'll be. I guess they don't even know where they're sticking us for Neuro/Psych.

Through the luck of the draw, I got stuck with surgery as my first 3rd-year rotation starting in July. How the heck do I survive when I barely know how to do a competent H & P. What should I bone up on? Let's hear all those tips that somebody with a freshly printed employee badge need to know.

Don't sweat it, same here..i am sure we will be expected to show a good grasp on basic suturing skills and our ability to learn on the fly. I am sure no 3rd year student doing their first rotation is expected to know how things work, i will let you know how my first week goes...

I think if you're not planning on going into surgery, then doing it first or second is a good thing. I did mine first, and the interns/residents/attendings all knew it was our first rotation. So the expectations are pretty low at the start. However, as with any other rotation, be sure to show improvement throughout and you'll do fine.

Here are some tips that may be helpful:

- Surgical H&Ps are not like medical H&Ps. They are a lot more focused, so you'll rarely do a full H&P. SOAP notes are even shorter. Just be observant on how your intern/resident performs their H&P and writes their SOAPs. Just be sure you do the parts of the physical the way you're supposed to (i.e. stethescope on the skin, not on the gown/clothes).
- Surgical Recall is pretty much a necessity for pimping. Find out what case you'll be scrubbing in on the day before, read about them, and be ready to answer questions. Some attendings pimp, some don't.
- You may or may not have the opportunity to suture or tie knots. It'll depend on your service/resident/attending. For an M3 level, the simple interrupted suture and two-handed knot tying are all that is expected of you.
- Grow a thick skin. Surgeons have that stereotype for a reason. Some are great and into teaching, others not so much and won't say a word to you, while others can be abrasive. Just don't take things personally.
- Eat/drink when you can, sit when you can, pee when you can, poo when you can.

There's probably more that I'm not able to think about right now. PM me if you've got other questions.